canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman
64367226

whats the maximum wattage on a 12v fluorescent tube please

Customer Question

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Are you wondering about light output?

Customer:

Hi Mike, I'm Andrew (in the UK) yes, I want a 12/24 volt fluorescent tube with say 100 watt output. CFL tube would be ideal but don't know where to look!

Customer:

Got to go off on the school run just now, but hope to catch up with you later Mike

canuck the pro :

Great Andrew. Thanks for the reply. I'll have some info for you later on. I'm waiting to pickup the boy from school and I'll get some info to you when I'm back at the computer. Do you already have the light fixture? If so what size bulbs?

Customer: Sounds like you are in the same stage of parenthood!
canuck the pro :

Maybe so. My boy is 8 on Sunday.

canuck the pro :

Can you tell me the bulb size? Do you already have a light fixture?

Customer: The tube fitting i
Customer: The max tube length is 550mm and width 100mm. The fitting can be whatever and the product is a vac formed illuminated sign. Product is at Www.rimanufacturing.com. Most of our customers are newsagents with low tech skills and we prefer low voltage which makes it easier to connect and excludes pro electrician install. However tubes we have used to date have too low lumen levels. Ideally I would like around 800 from a single tube ( maybe double dependent on fitting)
Customer: Mike thanks for your help. Just wanted to say that it can easily wait til next week. I'm sure you'll be busy with your boys birthday hope he has a great day.
canuck the pro :

Thanks for that. It will take some research. I will get back with you soon.

Customer:

no problem. Thanks Mike.

canuck the pro :

I am still waiting to hear back from one more email which I should here back from today.

canuck the pro :

I am having a lot of trouble with the type of bulb I am looking for. Do you have a model number of the fixture you are putting it in? If you have not chosen a fixture yet, will you provide me the size of the space you are lighting? Thank you, Mike

Customer:

Hi Mike, Many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX haven't given you a nightmare!

canuck the pro :

No all is good. No nightmares here.

Customer:

The diameter of the illuminated area is 450mm but the screen has a "neck" and the tube we have used to date is 510mm long mounted in a skeleton giving a total length of 610mm Exact product info is at http://lumo.eu.com/products/lumo-13/

canuck the pro :

Great! Do you have the 12v or 24v?

canuck the pro :

The light is in an RV?

Customer:

we use a 12v power supply and the lights are a product that we make to illuminate the outside of Newsagents shops. The Lumo batten is only 13 watts and isn't bright enough and needs two fittings per sign.

canuck the pro :

Great. thank you.

canuck the pro :

Well you may want to look at the bulb that you currently have in the fixture. Possibly you have the 700 lumen variety now. The best you can get with what you have is a 850 lumen which would be an improvement. With a voltage converter you could get as much as 1300 lumen out of LED bulbs.

Attachment: 2014-03-31_144654_linear_flourescent_t5_miniature_standard_triphosphor_and_specfill_lamps_data_sheet_en_tcm181-12832.pdf

Full Size Image

canuck the pro :

http://www.ledlightscom.com/t5-led-tube-lights-13w-1200mm.html

canuck the pro :

Was this the information you were looking for?

Customer:

Thanks mike just going to have a look and will feed back.

canuck the pro :

Very good.

Thank you so much for the bonus! You have been a pleasure to deal with and I hope to get a chance to help you again soon. You can always request me directly also. Here is a link to my profile if you would like to save it in your bookmarks. Thank you! Mike

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-canuckthepro/