canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman
64367226

I have a 1930s fireplace, How can I remove the tiles without

I have a 1930s fireplace, How can I remove the tiles without breaking them?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Well, you probably already know that many will not survive the removal but since it is so old it may actually increase the chances of success. If you have a small enough wheel for the grinder then grind the grout in between the tiles. You may need an assistant, and be sure you are both wearing gloves and protective glasses. Start where you can find a tile that you are less likely to want salvage, preferrably at the top. Then chisel under the edge and tap the chisel with a hammer to pry off of the wall. Have your assistant catch them for you if you are wanting to salvage them. Take your grinder to the back of them to take off any grout.

Customer:

Hi, these tiles are on the base of the fire place and I only need to remove all the leading edge ones because they are set at about 30 degrees and I want to lay them flat.

canuck the pro :

Well, either way the process is the same. Start somewhere that is a tile that may be less likely for you to want to salvage. A professional removing tiles in the same fashion would expect about 70% of the tiles to survive. Maybe you can expect about 50% or more? Just wanted you to set expectations before starting.

Customer:

Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX start ASAP

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome

canuck the pro :

I don't know if you have had trouble rating my service but there have been troubles with the rating system the last couple days. If so let me know and I can have it processed. If you still would like more help I am happy to assist further. Mike