Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Fully qualified plumbing , heating and gas engineer 20 years experience
77408428

I have had serious leak thru chimney wall in upstairs

Customer Question

I have had serious leak thru chimney breast wall in upstairs bedroom during very bad weather. Roofer tells me chimney is sodden and hads no damp tray. He suggests either taking chimney down or rebuilding it and it and putting in a tray
the chimney is a shared one with neithbour and he would prefer to have chimneys capped and rendered to stop rain penatrating. Would this be a solution?
thank you.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is Mike and I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Capping the chimney will not be an option. If it is in bad shape it will continue to deteriorate and still leak. At minimum taking the chimney down would have to be done. Sorry to tell you that but the roofer is correct with the assessment.

canuck the pro :

If you have any further questions I am glad to help so if this has not clarified certainly continue to communicate. I am happy to assist.

JACUSTOMER-bhm92p6h- : If you could answer question more fully please. My whole question was would it be an option to have chimney RENDERED and capped as my neighbour will not pay towards taking down and rebuilding chimney
canuck the pro :

The chimney is leaking because it is deteriorating. If it were capped it will still continue to deteriorate. The leaking may stop temporarily but the deterioration will continue and moisture has already penetrated and the flashing beneath is likely deteriorated and compromised. The chimney may be capped and the chimney sealed with roof sealant and this will be an expensive temporary fix that may last 3 or 4 years but in time will cause the same type of damage as before. In the long run capping and repairing will be a patch, not a repair and will eventually be the most expensive option.

canuck the pro :

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

canuck the pro :

If you have any questions about the information provided I am happy to continue to help. Mike

canuck the pro :

Any comment at all will help get us going. I am here to help any time you are ready. Mike

canuck the pro :

canuck the pro :

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful? If you have any questions at all please let me know. If it was the information you were looking for please indicate that you are ready to positively rate my service. Thank you, Mike