fixer2013
fixer2013, Handyperson
Experience:  I am able to supply most answers for DIY projects, as I have many years experience
74591549

Hello, I am a pensioner

Hello, I am a pensioner, I have just finished several months work of sanding my double staircase down. It nearly killed me. lol The wood is smooth and looks beautiful. What do I do to keep it near the colour it is? Do I just varnish it or wax it? Do I wash it down before with water? Ive never done anything like this before. A male friend has offered to help me out, although he is new to this game himself. Please will you reply in simple terms for me to understand, stating what I would need to buy, plus method of work. Thank you very much indeed Carole XXXXXX

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  fixer2013 replied 2 years ago.
hello Carole,

My name isXXXXX hope that I can assist you today. My word it sounds as though you had a labour of love. Do you know what the wood is, and is it dark or light?

After sanding as you have done, I would go over it again with a fine wire wool, just to take off any burrs etc in the wood. I would not wash it as this may lift any fibres in the wood and would need to dry thoroughly. Just brush it down with a soft brush to get all the dust off.

You can either then wax it to keep the colour or use a clear polyurethane sealer from Ronseal. You can purchase this from a reputable dealer,

I hope that this helps you
Ivor
Fixer 2013

fixer2013, Handyperson
Experience: I am able to supply most answers for DIY projects, as I have many years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for your simple solution to me. My home is pre 1900 and I believe that it is oak.

Expert:  fixer2013 replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Carole.

As the wood is oak I would not use a polyurethane sealer. It may take longer but I would use a good wax. this would bring out the beauty of the wood. I hope it looks stunning when completed.

Ivor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I,m still not sure whether it is oak. or not. I went into Wilkos and Wickes who informed me that they did not think that Ronseal sold a sealer. They seemed to have everything but this. Will I still be able to wax straight over the bare wood without any other protecter. If so, what wax brand etc would you recommend please

Expert:  fixer2013 replied 2 years ago.

Hello again Carole. i'm sorry for the late reply. In answer, An old fashioned way is to get Beeswax with raw Turpentine. This can be purchased from Liberion. This is applied direct to the wood and put oils back into dry wood. You can get large quantity to brush on. Or from Ronseal 'Quick and easy brushing wax'. Brush on with a clean brush. Then buff off with a soft cloth. This product contains a blend of natural waxes. brush finish and nourishes lost moisture within the wood. Enhances natural beauty of the wood. Then buff off with the soft cloth, (Not a yellow duster, but maybe natural wool cloth) I hope you have a successful finish. Regards Ivor

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much. I will try this instead. Carole

Expert:  fixer2013 replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. Good luck with the wood,

please rate my help if you feel I have given you good service.

ivor
Expert:  fixer2013 replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Carole
I am just enquiring if my advice assisted you and also if I can help you with anything else

Thank you for using JustAnswer. If you have questions in the future Just post them and we will endeavour to help/
Fixer 2013
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much. Carole xxx