canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman
64367226

Hello. I have just purchased a solid wall semi-detached house

Customer Question

Hello. I have just purchased a solid wall semi-detached house which has had internal wall insulation installed (Marmox) but does not have a vapour control layer. I am thinking of installing external wall insulation too. If I have a intelligent membrane installed outside along with the external insulation, will this solve any condensation problems as regards XXXXX XXXXX themselves or will I just be creating a possible problem? Thank you.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

Hello there,

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you and refund your deposit.

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi .. many thanks .... I am happy to wait.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for replying.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

If you decide on a refund, or wish to keep the credit for a future question, then of course we'd honour it.

Adam

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. The only walls that should be a concern are the outside walls. There is no need at all for insulation in internal walls except for sound proofing. As far as the exterior walls it is important to have a vapour barrier there to prevent condensation.
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience: Handyman
If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! How much insulation should I put in my attic? How often should I need to replace my roof and shingles? What is the best way to remove wallpaper? I am mounting a toilet paper holder, where should I put it? Where are the biggest air leaks in a house usually found and how can I seal them and is it possible that the house can be too airtight? Is it possible to add colour to concrete? Can I add a toilet to a space that does not have any plumbing? How can I clean my brick exterior or brick fireplace surround? Why does marble flooring always feel so cold? Can I lay a new subfloor over and existing one? What dissolves super glue? Should I close my attic vents or crawl space vents at any season of the year? What should my water pressure be in my home? How can I check for leaks in my plumbing system? Can I add a doorbell if there is no wire? How do I get my garage door to be more quiet? How do I seal my drafty windows? How can I put a larger, brighter bulb in my ceiling fan or light? Why is there a stale smell in my bathroom? How can I clear a slow drain? What does a plumbing trap do? You might know a guy who knows the answers to these or any other questions! http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-canuckthepro/ Save me to your browser favourites and ask me any time you like. We can discuss all the details of the answer any time you like! Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks ... will bookmark you. Just to be absolutely clear on my last question, the fact that no vapour barrier was used with the existing internal Marmox wall insulation should not be a problem at all then, correct?

That is certainly correct. No problem.