canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman
64367226

i have installed a cieling halogen light in my hallway, it

i have installed a cieling halogen light in my hallway, it worked for about a month fine, then individual bulbs went( which were replaced & working for a few more weeks) until light stopped working completely
ive rechecked wiring & the light is getting power, could this be a faulty transformer ?
thanks, paudy
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. It certainly does sound like a faulty ballast. Is this a pretty new light or is it older?

Customer:

its a new light mike

canuck the pro :

Hi Paudy. Were you replacing the light fixture because of a similar issue?

Customer:

no mike it was a normal ceiling light changed because it was old fashioned not because it wasnt working properly

canuck the pro :

Well that is good news. It is not uncommon for a new light fixture to have a faulty ballast. Do you still have the receipt? Is returning the fixture an option?

Customer:

it might be an option cheers mike but can you tell me why you think it was the ballast???

canuck the pro :

The lights having such a short life and now not working at all. Do you still have the bulb that is burnt out? If you inspect the end of the bulb do you see any burn marks or anything like that?

Customer:

just checked the bulbs there are no burn marks it just seemed to fade or dim down to nothing then stopped working completly

canuck the pro :

The easiest way to test a ballast is to check the power going to the light fixture with a mult-meter and try a new bulb. No doubt it is the ballast as you have described. Even if you do not have the box anymore the store is just going to send it back to the manufacturer anyway. The store would likely take the light and put it in the new box and give you the new one out of the box.

canuck the pro :

I worked in a package store here in the U.S. for a few years. This problem came up often.

canuck the pro :

If you are unsure if the store will take it back then you could call them first. It wouldn't be a bad idea to call them anyway to make sure they have a replacement. If they will not let you return for a replacement then remove the ballast and take it to a hardware store so you can match the correct ballast for replacement. All the information is printed on the ballast.

canuck the pro :

If you are unsure what the ballast is, it looks something like this

Full Size Image

canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience: Handyman