AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Electrical contractor's license
53189252

During the night the smoke alarm started a 1 minute bleep.

During the night the smoke alarm started a 1 minute bleep. We have changed the battery and it still bleeps I have turned off the mains supply but still it bleeps. I know it is hardwired to the mains but I do not know how to stop the terrible noise. Can you advise please
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

When the power is turned off, the battery will keep the smoke alarm powered.

Removing the battery also, will completely stop the alarm.

Before doing that, how many smoke detectors do you have total around the house?

It could be one of the others is triggering the situation and not the one you worked with so far.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are two smoke alarms in the house. This one is upstairs. I replaced the battery and it still made a noise and then with the new battery I turned the mains off and it still made the noise. Do I have to turn both off?

If I had the make and model, I could be definite about the alarms being tied to each other.

Many instances, they work together and if one has sensed smoke or has an issue, it will make the other one go off also.

So, do this:
If both are alarming, they are linked together, so you would have to remove the batteries and turn power off to them both to stop the noise.

If only one is alarming, then they are not linked together and only the one would need its battery removed and power turned off also.

When they alarm, and there is no sign of smoke, they may be just a little dusty.

Take it down and if you have any canned air like for a PC, you can use it to spray the smoke detector sensor area and clean it off.
Or take a vacuum and vacuum the detector real good, that also works in most cases.

If after cleaning, it still wants to alarm, it is probably time to change it out with a newer model, as they only last forso long.
Recommendation is change after 10 years no matter if they work or not.

Try cleaning both first before taking them off line.

Experience: Electrical contractor's license
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Only one of them is bleeping. The smoke alarm came when the house was built and doesn't have any make

Ok, thanks.

Then you would have to remove the battery and turn the power off of that one and the alarm should stop.

Clean that one with either canned air or get a vacuum and vacuum the unit.

If you look, you will see an area that has small holes where it senses smoke, pay close attention to that area for cleaning.

Hopefully cleaning takes care of the problem, if not, it would have to be replaced for it is malfunctioning and they are not repairable.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You are most welcome, glad to assist
Followup to your smoke detector issue.

If the information posted is all that is needed ont he situation, please return and provide a rating.
I only receive credit when a rating of good-excellent has been posted.

If you are in need of more assistance, please just return and post the information needed and I can continue to work with you to get the situation resolved.

Thank you for your time.