Jason
Jason, Electrician
Experience:  Full time electrician in the USA for over 20 years. Verified USA JustAnswer Electrical Expert for approximately 7 years.
9920183

I have a very large 110v fridge/freezer that I just brought

Customer Question

I have a very large 110v fridge/freezer that I just brought from the US to the UK. Is a 1000VA xformer/converter large enough to make it work here? Are there additional considerations?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

Are you able to see the data plate on the fridge?

Jason :

If so, can you tell me what the amp or wattage draw is?

Jason :

Does the converter actually have 110 volts stamped on it?

Jason :

Another main consideration is frequency. That's extremely important. Most likely, a fridge from the US will be rated at 60 Hz. But I believe the frequency in the UK is 50 Hz. If the fridge is rated 50/60 Hz, then frequency won't be an issue.

JACUSTOMER-nloc96zt- :

The fridge is 110v 6.0 Hz

Jason :

OK, great. 60 Hz, not 6.0, correct?

JACUSTOMER-nloc96zt- :

The AC Converter is rated/stamped 230 - 50 Hz (input); 2x110v - 1000VA. 60 Hz is correct on the fridge, but not 50/60 Hz.

JACUSTOMER-nloc96zt- :

It's a Kenmore Elite Bottom Freexer Refridgerator Grab-N-Go

Jason :

Thank you for the additional information. I'm concerned that you will be putting 50 Hz through a fridge rated at 60 Hz. That's very bad for the appliance. Also, I would still need to know how many amps or watts are consumed by the fridge in order to compute whether the converter has a large enough output capacity. I can try to look the unit up Online, if you don't mind standing by.

JACUSTOMER-nloc96zt- :

Model # is 795.7206

Jason :

Excellent, I'll look for it now. Thanks so much.

JACUSTOMER-nloc96zt- :

Standing by!

Jason :

It appears the fridge will draw about 5 amps during use.

Jason :

That's pretty typical for a standard fridge/freezer. Your converter is capable of putting out about 9 amps of capacity.

Jason :

So the converter can handle the load. The only concern now is frequency.

JACUSTOMER-nloc96zt- :

and ...

Jason :

I'm concerned that you'll damage the fridge, and possibly your electrical system, including the converter. Crossing frequencies is never a good idea.

Jason :

I don't want the appliance to be ruined.

JACUSTOMER-nloc96zt- :

so what can I do about it?

JACUSTOMER-nloc96zt- :

Is there any fire damage?

Jason :

I doubt it will cause a fire, though there's an outside chance it could. The more likely scenario is that it would damage the internals of the appliance, and possibly the converter, and trip the circuit breaker.

Jason :

You can get a frequency converter, but they are very very expensive.

Jason :

I was researching them for another customer recently, and I was quite surprised at how costly they are.

Jason :

It would likely be less expensive, or more reliable, to get a different fridge, unfortunately.

Jason :

I know this probably isn't the answer you were hoping for, but it's important for me to give you factual answers.

Jason :

My opinion is that placing a frequency converter into the circuit is just adding another costly component that will at some point fail.

Jason :

Rather than doing that, an appropriately rated (in electrical specs) fridge seems to be the wiser way to go.

Jason :

You may be able to get some trade-in value on it at a local appliance shop. It's worth a shot.

JACUSTOMER-nloc96zt- :

Thanks Jason it was worth a shot.

Jason :

Happy to help. It's rare that we don't come up with a better solution. Sorry it didn't work out this time.

Jason :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?