Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds Qualified plumber
46681511

good morning! I have a greenwood airvac fan installed in my

good morning! I have a greenwood airvac fan installed in my bathroom which was constructed in 2001. the crabtree switch has broken and I need to replace it. however on opening up the switch there are 6 wires; 2 red, 2 blue, 2 yellow plus the earth. I have ordered a new switch but want to ensure I wire it back up correctly. Are there any diagrams for this particular model of fan/switch. Many thanks.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX :

This is a simple 3 pole isolator, this enables you to work on the fan by isolating the live, the switched live and the neutral

XXXXX XXXXX :

It should be a simple swap

XXXXX XXXXX :

Remember to isolate safely at the consumer unit

XXXXX XXXXX :

Full Size Image

Customer:

thank you Andrew. I was really after the wiring diagram that shows the wiring - eg L to L and/or L1, N to N etc. The photo is the switch that we have. The 2 reds are the live, the 2 blues the neutral, so is the switched live the 2 yellow ones? No problem isolating the consumer unit.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Yes, switched live is yellow

XXXXX XXXXX :

It is straight forward - in the feed side you will have a red, yellow and blue and in the opposite connections you will have a red, yellow and blue - with the earths together in the brass connection in the back box

XXXXX XXXXX :

Straight through the switch in line

Customer:

Hello again. So, sorry to labour the point ....at the top of the switch we have L1 L2 and N; red into L1, yellow into L2 and blue into N; then at the bottom the same again. does it matter from which of the 2 bound cables each set of 3 wires comes from when going into the top and out of the bottom as I can't see any difference between the 2? thanks again.

XXXXX XXXXX :

No it does not matter, the switch just links them together and you use this as an isolator when working on the fan

XXXXX XXXXX :

It would only matter if it had a fuse in it

Customer:

Many thanks. I'm scheduled to get the work done on thursday so if it's fine by you I'll close off this query after that - just in case! PS just opened up the back of the switch and no fuse obvious.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Great - simple swap then

Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience: City and Guilds Qualified plumber