Michael
Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home Appliance Technician
11519491

The fuse connected to the electric hob and oven in my kitchen

Customer Question

The fuse connected to the electric hob and oven in my kitchen keeps on jumping. I have had a friend check the wiring and it it done correctly. The hob and oven used to work fine, problems started about 3 months ago, was cooking for a large dinner and after it had been going for a while the fuse jumped. We switched some of the electric plates off and it worked again but the fuse jumped from time to time. Now even with the hob/oven switched off the fuse switch won't stay up. What to do?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.
May I have the full model #? And the make?
Also how old the HOB is?
Tech Michael

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi the oven and hob are 3 years old. The brand is necht there is no model written for the hob. In the oven there is a label say in model ame 10001. See pictures attached

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Antonio,
When exactly does it blow the internal fuse?
Thanks you
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Now the switch in the fuse box won't event go up to the on position. it blows straight away.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Antonio, please explain this, is this a resettable fuse? like a circuit breaker?
Also do you have a multi meter?
You will need one to go further.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I don't know what a resettable fuse or a circuit breaker is, I do not have a multimeter. I am not an electrician and have no idea about this stuff hence why I have asked the question here. I attach a picture of the fuse box, where you can see the "hob" switch turned off because it would not stay up.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Antonio, I need clear information.
I s there a fuse in the oven that is blowing?
Or is it the one in the circuit breaker box in your main?
Also when specifically does it blow, immediately? Or when you turn something on, please be specific as this matters.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not think that there is a fuse in the oven. Sorry but I really do not understand this stuff. The circuit breaker in the box now blown immediately if I try to put it up even if the oven is switched off. Before the circuit breaker used to stay up the oven would work for a while and than the circuit breaker would blow.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you, please pull the hob out, and you will need to run a few tests.
unplug or unhook it at is power connection.
they see if it still blows the breaker, the fuse. Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what kind of tests and how do I run them?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Antonio, I just asked to perform the first step(test).
please pull the hob out, and you will need to run a few tests.
also , since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As it is a built in hob it is not easy to take out so I would like to know a bit more about the kind of tests and if I need to purchase equipment etc. I do not want to move the oven to the middle of the kitchen and then not know what to do.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Antonio, you will need a cheap multi meter, available at any Radio shack or similar store.
Dont worry these short circuits are usually an easy fix once you isolate them, Thats what I do for you.
Please rate kindly so we can stay working together, it doesn't cost you anything, then I can lock us in so we can continue.
I'm here for you anytime.
Tech Michael