Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs in home repair/building - 10 yr in live theatre set design/building
3714457

We have just bought a new Mantis Tiller and assembled it according

We have just bought a new Mantis Tiller and assembled it according to the instructions. The engine runs fine but the tines won't engage. Any idea what might be the trouble?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for useing Just Answer.

Can you please provide me with the model number? Is this a classic, classic plus, 2 cycle or is it a four stroke? With this information, I'll be able to help you out further.

Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's a deluxe with the 4-stroke Honda engine, reference 7265-15-14

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for getting back ...
This may mean the engine isn’t sitting all the way down on the worm gear housing. The flange bolt may have come loose and lifted the engine up.
If this happened you’ll notice a gap between the bottom of the engine clutch case and thetop of the worm gear housing.

To fix this, loosen the flange bolt. Take the engine off the worm gear housing. Notice the hex head on top of the drive shaft . Inside the clutch case, you’ll find the clutch drum. Make sure the hex head lines up with the clutch drum inside the clutch case.Then put the engine back on the worm gear housing. Make sure the plastic carrying handle is not under the fuel tank. If you’ve followed these steps properly, there will be no gap between the clutch case and the worm gear housing. Make sure you tighten the flange bolt! All other engine maintenance issues can be found in the Honda Engine Manual included in your tiller package.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I wish you the best.

Gary