Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds Qualified plumber
46681511

I am in England, so wiring colours may be different, I have

I am in England, so wiring colours may be different, I have 2 ceiling lights in my living room, they are connected as follows, each has 2 earths, each has 2 red wires together in a terminal block, each has 2 black wires , the switch is a 2 gang switch, dimmers, L1 is black, L2 is red, either way I wire in the black the two dimmers operate both light depending upon how they are operated. I assume this is wrong, should they only be operated by a single switch/ dimmer, I believe the black wires in the switch are live, although not sheathed so the red are looped, ? thanks Mike
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX :

They will only work together if you have a 3 core between them - red, yellow and blue

Customer:

Hi, so how do I wire them up?, do I put the black LI and the red L2 into one switch only together?

XXXXX XXXXX :

Full Size Image

XXXXX XXXXX :

You will have to leave them as one, or run a 3 core from one light to the other and treat it as a slave by wiring the lamp into the LN&E that feed the other lamp

XXXXX XXXXX :

Or run a blue red and yellow between the 2 switches

XXXXX XXXXX :

Are you saying that they are both back to the same patress on a double dimmer switch?

Customer:

So JUST TO BE SURE, I PUT BOTH THE BLACKS TOGETHER IN L1 AND BOTH THE REDS TOGEHTER IN L2 WITH A SINGLE SWITCH ONLY, WOULD A DIMMER BE OK?, THANKS

XXXXX XXXXX :

They are both wired to the same patress, I thought it was a switch at either end of the room?

Customer:

THEY ARE BOTH WIRED INTO A DOUBLE DIMMER SWITCH, 2 GANG DIMMER,

XXXXX XXXXX :

OK, just wire as you said - can you confirm the number of bulbs and wattages to confirm the dimmer can cope with both sets?

Customer:

8 BULBS IN EACH LIGHT, EACH BULB 28 W,

Customer:

I DO NOT MIND IF I CANNOT USE A DIMMER

XXXXX XXXXX :

A switch will work as stated too.

Customer:

SO JUST USE A SINGLE SWITCH OR DIMMER, MANY THANKS, MIKE

XXXXX XXXXX :

224Watts for each light is why they have used 2 dimmers - a 500W dimmer will be expensive

XXXXX XXXXX :

Single switch would be best

Customer:

CHEERS

XXXXX XXXXX :

No problem