Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs in home repair/building - 10 yr in live theatre set design/building
3714457

Dear sir, I am in the planning stages of designing a man

Dear sir,
I am in the planning stages of designing a 'man shed' to do hobby metalwork/welding projects when I retire next year. The construction of the building will be 7n block walls all round with brick facia at the 'front', where the entrance door will be. The footings, floor and sub structure will conform to building regs.
I will require an open roof area as I intend to have a lightweight hoist(max 250K lift) My main problem is that I do not know what size STEEL I beam I will require to both support the roof and take the additional load of possibly 150k lift on the hoist. (THIS WOULD BE A MAXIMUM)
The max span of the beam will be aprox 6.5 mtrs
Any constructive advice will be very welcome.
Thankyou
Mick
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Gary :

Hi Mick, and thank you for using Just Answer.

Gary :

The size of "I" beam you can use easy enough would be 398.0 mm. This measures end to end. The inside of the "I" should measure 360.40 mm. The measurement of the "I" across should measure out to be 141.8 mm. This chunk of steel will take the load of the building plus what you intend to use it for. This will also allow extra weight load if you happen to live in an area that produces winter snow that piles high, and is heavy. You may also want to consult the building planner to confirm what I recommend. He should say it's a bit heavy, however it will give you the added strength you need for the days you push the 150k weight you want to pick up. I wish you the best.

Customer:

thanks for your reply.

Customer:

Massive snow is never a problem where I live in England. And will be easily removed if there is a build up so a lighter steel may be appropriate. thanks again for your input. MICK

Gary :

You're welcome. Just a thought here but there will be a point in life that you may want to sell your home. If you set this "man shed" up right, it would be a great selling point to your property. Just remember that the lady looks at the house, and the man is always interested in what's outside for him to "play" in. Having a heavier "I" beam in place may make a difference. I understand about the cost right now, but you will pick that up on the back side plus more. I wish you the best. If you like my service please rate. Anything else I can do, just let me know.

Customer:

Many thanks yet again for your advice. I can see where you are coming from with a view to future property sale. This is something I considered prior to initial thoughts of the build.

Gary, Handyman
Experience: 25 yrs in home repair/building - 10 yr in live theatre set design/building