Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds Qualified plumber
46681511

Hello I have recently built and wired my own workshop. I used

Customer Question

Hello I have recently built and wired my own workshop. I used 3 core 6mm swa cable and exported the earth to the consumer unit in the workshop. The swa armour has been earthed at the supply end in the house consumer unit. In the workshop the consumer unit is almost a mirror of the one used in the house. It has dual rcd's a mains isolator and various fuses for the different circuits. When it was all installed bar the earthing of swa cable and I switched one of my machines on both the rcd's in the workshop tripped. Now I have meticulously been through all the wiring and found nothings shorting or earth leakage. I have just earthed the swa sheath to the house consumer unit and fault has moved to the house rcds. I'm not showing continuity between the live and earth and all seems to be correct but as soon as the circuit breaker to the workshop is turned on both rcds trip. Any clues?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

***** ***** : Are you tripping MCB's or RCCD's
***** ***** : Have you tried a meter across earth and neutral?
***** ***** : The RCD picks up on neutral imbalances