canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman
64367226

The water has recently started getting very hot then going

The water has recently started getting very hot then going quite cool this has only started doing this even when the temp dial is turned down quite low
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Do you know the model boiler that you have? So it starts off hotter than usual then goes cool, but does it remain cool or does it get hot again? Is this everywhere or just the shower?

Customer:

This is just the shower it appears to be hot then cool not cold intermittently the Showers is a Triton Opal

canuck the pro :

How old is the shower? Have you cleaned the inlet screen of any debris?

Customer:

Approx 11-12 years and No we haven't checked the inlet screen for debris

canuck the pro :

The issue is caused by low water pressure. It will activate the flow sensor and since the flow is a little slow the water initially activates the flow sensor and the water in the chamber is heated but the continuous flow is not enough to keep the flow sensor activated. If you remove the shower head or remove the wand from the hose (whichever you have) and try without the shower head on does it still have the same problem?

Customer:

I will try removing the shower head and see if the water temp changes with just the water coming thro the hose .

Customer:

Also we have never had a problem with water pressure before although we recently had a new boiler installed

canuck the pro :

The new installation may have sent a little debris into the filter. The solution is one of three solutions: 1. The shower head has debris and is restricting the flow 2. The inlet filter is restricted with debris 3. There is scale buildup in the internal components and the internals are failing.

canuck the pro :

These showers are only expected to last about 7-8 years but can last much longer.

canuck the pro :

If you have a small pump you can flush it with vinegar and remove most of the scale internally.

Customer:

Where do I find the filter ?? I am look at the O & M manual and cant seam to locate this

canuck the pro :

If you disconnect the inlet there should be a screen there.

Customer:

Ok will look for that

canuck the pro :

I think you can get many more years out of it but you would need to flush it with vinegar to extend the life. Make a connection at the inlet and a connection on the shower neck. Fill a bucket with vinegar and water and pump the solution into the inlet and out the shower neck and back into the bucket. Let it cycle like that for about 30 minutes and then soak the shower head in the vinegar for another 30 minutes. That will remove all of the scale. Be sure that it is not heating the mixture.

Customer:

The Inlet pipe is built into the wall so would basically have to dismantle the shower to get to it

canuck the pro :

There is not a union there?