fixer2013
fixer2013, Handyperson
Experience:  I am able to supply most answers for DIY projects, as I have many years experience
74591549

This is a furniture restoration question. I have a lovely cream

Customer Question

This is a furniture restoration question. I have a lovely cream set of bedroom furniture, only 5 years old, and it s got a kind of satin Matt finish. Someone has sprayed Flash on it to clean it and the top layer has lost it's sheen. Is there anything I can do to restore this back to how it looked? It's still cream, so the colour hasn't gone, but the sheen looks patchy. Is there a product to re finish the satin soft sheen on this?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  fixer2013 replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon
I am sorry this has taken a while to get to you and your question.
From what you describe I feel that the Flash has gone through the coating and damaged the under-surface. I could suggest getting a clear satin finish varnish but this may not hide the stain mark.
You could try rubbing the area with a very fine grade glass paper. (flour Paper) from a DIY shop. But this may not take the stain out completely. Just try a tiny area first. I would not want to suggest anything drastic as would further damage the surface .
I hope that may give you some idea.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. It's not a stain as such. The surface is lacquered and the lacquer softened and created a dull patch in the lacquer. The colour has not gone at all. Where I rubbed it in a circular motion, you can see the swirls. You can also see the spray marks...what level of experience with furniture restoration do you have please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Incomplete answer and it took 24 hours to get it.
Expert:  fixer2013 replied 2 years ago.
Hello Jane
I was following up to see if you have had any luck with the problem.

Thank you for using Just Answer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, not really - you didn't give me any more info than I already knew. I was looking for someone who actually knew how to restore furniture and I did ask a supplementary question but it didnt get answered. I know it's a lacquer finish and I know what I did softened the lacquer temporarily and I need to know how to blend it in with the rest of the top. I've not done anything more to it.

Not massively happy with the Just Answer service this time. Nothing personal, just was looking for someone who knew more about furniture restoration...

Expert:  fixer2013 replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Jane,
Your other question didn't seem to arrive, therefore I understand why you are not happy.
I am not a furniture restorer per say, but I have worked on pieces for my own place, In my view what needs to happen is that the lacquer is completely stripped off of the piece and then professionally recoated. That way the stain will be taken out. As your furniture is precious to you. I feel that this is the best course of action. Look on the web for a furniture restoration company in your area and get a face to face estimate of the cost.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. That's what I decided to do. I was hoping I might be able to recreate the "damage " to the whole of the top and therefore create a connsistent look, without the need for a professional to do it. I've had a quote this pm and it's going to cost me about £100, which is almost as much as the unit cost me. Never mind.

Expert:  fixer2013 replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Jane.
Thanks so much for letting me know your course of action.
I do hope that it turns out well for you.

Ivor