canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman
64367226

I have a LG 32LK33OU that has just started switching itself

Customer Question

I have a LG 32LK33OU that has just started switching itself on and off to standby. This set is just under 2 years old (it was a replacement for the same model that we had to have replaced due to a screen problem). I have looked on-line and it seems that it may not be a unique problem. Advice please.
Lynn
Republic of Ireland
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Are you going to repair it yourself? We would need to do a little investigative surgery to diagnose the issue.

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

If it's not too difficult, yes as is out of warranty. Thanks Mike.

Customer:

You are very welcome. It is likely a capacitor that has blown because of power surge. It is pretty easy to tell if that is the case with a simple visual inspection and is a great place to start. Remove the back and inspect the capacitors on the boards. They look like little batteries. They all should be completely flat on top with no bulging whatsoever.

Full Size Image
This is a capacitor and as you can see the top is completely flat.
Full Size Image
This is what they may look like if they are needing replacing. You can see the flat spot is no longer flat. Be sure of course to have it unplugged. Be careful because although it is unplugged the capacitors still store power.

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

Ok, thanks We have already removed the back, I'll go and check the capacitors now and get right back to you.

Customer:

The issue with the tv is almost certainly the power supply or the main board or even possibly both. The power supply will be obvious since it is the board that the power cord connects to. The main board is the board that all of the HDMI connections are on.

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

Hi Mike, all (we counted 14) capacitors have flat tops.

Customer:

How often does it turn off? Quite regularly? Do you have a multi-meter and are you familiar with testing voltages and continuity?

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

Well, it was on as normal and it went off switches on and off about 3 or 4 times and then goes into standby mode? Red standby light flashes. I'm not but my husband is but he's at work!

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

Oh, if you switch it back on the same thing happens. You do get a picture, but then it goes back into standby mode (as described above).

Customer:

No problem with that. Take all of the connectors off and connect them back one at a time. If one of the connectors is not making good contact it will eventually cause this issue. If your husband is an expert at testing voltages then we can check to confirm what is at issue. The voltage testing for TVs is very advanced. If he can test the voltages on the test points on the boards the proper voltages are stamped next to the test points in very small print. It will only confirm that the main board is faulty. How many times does the light blink?

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

By connectors do you mean like Sky, games consoles etc? They have all been removed. The light blinks until you switch the TV off.

Customer:

No the connectors to all of the boards in the TV. Some will have a little clip that you fold up that holds a ribbon cable against the connector. Others will have little wings an the side that you pinch in before pulling off. We especially want to be sure that the ribbon type cables are making good connection. You will see how the ribbon cable slides into the fold down clip. When clipping it back on be sure to not force it. It can easily break the little clip.

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

The ribbon type cables are very secure. Is it just the connectors to the mother board I'm looking at? They all seem very difficult to budge, I've managed to take one out at the very bottom of the green board. Should I just try and take them all out and reconnect and then switch on the TV?

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

OK, I've managed to take them out (very carefully) and they have all clicked back into place.

Customer:

Yes if one seems to have not been in the connector very well. Otherwise the main board is bad and will need to be replaced. The ribbon cables only come off when you lift the little clip that holds it in place.

Full Size Image

Customer:

Also inspect these cables for any evidence of damage. Sometimes during assembly the cable will get a little crease in it or it may even have a scorch mark on it.

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

OK, I'll have a look at that now.

Customer:

If you explode you still have to pay me!

Customer:

Don't worry, my customers hardly ever explode.

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

Lol, the ribbon is creased, well folded in several places from the top of the screen to the right hand side but it looks OK (it's like a large, white flat tape). I can take it out at the top but can't take it out of the main board. There isn't a clip like in your picture - boom!

Customer:

Sorry I just mean on the end. Some will have the end where you squeeze it on either side and others have a clip you depress on top. So it is ok if the cable is folded just inspect the end of the cable when removing it. (glad you laughed, sometimes my joking is not received so well)

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

OK, I'll check again and get back to you. Have to laugh, it's a TV not the end of the world! Just don't fancy buying another one if I can fix it myself.

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

Right, I can't see how to get the right side of the ribbon out. It's blue at the end and has no obvious clip, but all seems secure and clean.

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

Oh, we've just tried it again and same problem.

Customer:

It's blue but similar to the one pictured? It has little wings on the side so you have to lift it up a bit then out.

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

No, there is a metal band across but it doesn't flick up so I don't really want to pull it out and cause any damage.

Customer:

Does it have little buttons on each side to push in? Maybe you are looking at one of the plug in connectors?

Customer:

Is this the plug that goes from the power supply to the main board or the cable coming out of the main board on the top?

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

There are no buttons on the side either, and it is coming from the side of the main board.

Customer:

Does the metal piece slide back on the cable?

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

No it barely moves.

Customer:

Will you send a picture?

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

Yes give me a moment.

Customer:

Excellent

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

Full Size Image

Customer:

The little gray strip will lift up. It folds down to hold the cable in place.

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

Ok I got the strip out.

Customer:

That was easy, eh?

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

Lets say ...... yes! What do I do now just put it back and switch on again?

Customer:

Inspect it and connect it back. Then test it out and see if you just fixed it. If not then the main board will need to be replaced.

Customer:

To find a new board you would cross reference the model number and the numbers printed on the board.

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

OK, it's just like blue tape at end no metal, is that right? It's back in any way and we are checking.

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

Same problem, so looks like the main board will have to be replaced then?

Customer:

I get most of my parts from Ebay. Just be sure they have a no hassle return policy. About 10% of the boards are untested (they say tested or new and they are neither since they are salvaged from broken tvs) Most people do not recommend Ebay but they have some of the best prices there. Yes the main board has failed.

Customer:

Too bad. That is the most expensive one. It may be hard to find also if it is common in that model to fail.

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

OK, well thanks Mike. All I can say is thank goodness it wasn't one of the old type TV's!

Customer:

The older they are the easier they are to repair.....but much harder to lift and move! Heavy buggers!

Customer:

You are very welcome.

JACUSTOMER-6vi1l4yr- :

Well, I wanted a bigger screen anyway, lol. Thanks for your help, I'd better pay you now.

canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience: Handyman
You are very welcome. Hope I get a chance to help you again soon. Mike