Michael
Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home Appliance Technician
11519491

Hi, We live in the basement of a period property (built

We live in the basement of a period property (built in 1905) in London, in a 900sq ft 2 bedroom flat. Our home feels fairly humid, and after buying a humidity meter we found that the humidty levels are about 60-70% on the south side of the flat, and can reach 90% in the north side (especially bathroom). Is this normal? And if these levels are high, do you have any advice on how to make the flat less humid?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
hi yes that is pretty high humidity and it can damage a lot of furnishings, especially electronics:-(
What I would do and have done in the past is purchase an inexpensive dehumidifier (available at most home improvement stores) and place on the side of the house in your basement and set it about mid range.
You will be surprised how much water it removes from the air. It has a bucket that will fill with water that you will need to empty daily.
With your humidity levels it will fill pretty quickly but over time it will fill less and less as it removes the heavy humidity;-)
Please rate kindly before closing this page I will still be here for you and you can contact me anytime
simply by replying to this message at no additional cost;-)
Thank you and have a great day!
Tech Michael