Jason
Jason, Electrician
Experience:  Full time electrician in the USA for over 20 years. Verified USA JustAnswer Electrical Expert for approximately 7 years.
9920183

My upstairs lights turned off at 4 pm today but the sockets

My upstairs lights turned off at 4 pm today but the sockets were still working ,they flickered at 5 oclock then went off again At 9 they flickered then came back on They have been back on for over an hr and seem fine now It seemed like a power cut but only in the upstairs lights Do i nerd to worry
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

This is due to either a loose connection, or a switch that is failing.

Jason :

It's not something to be overly worried about.

Jason :

While the lights are working, the problem will be very difficult to troubleshoot.

Jason :

Ideally, you actually need them to go off again, so you (with my help) or an electrician can begin tracing the wiring.

Customer:

how urgently do I need to call some out or should I just wait and see if it happens again ,could it be dangerous

Jason :

It's not dangerous. It will most likely just stop working altogether at some point. That actually makes it easier to troubleshoot.

Customer:

it was all the upstairs lights ,not just one and i noticed the light in the in built smoke alarm went off aswell ,so is it ok to wait

Jason :

Thank you for the additional information. That rules out a switch. It's in a junction box ahead of multiple switches. Since there is a smoke detector involved, I would have it repaired soon.

Customer:

is it safe to wait a week to repair

Jason :

Yes, if you have other smoke detectors.

Jason :

You may want to consider a battery unit placed temporarily in the area of the disabled unit.

Customer:

thanks for you help

Jason :

You are most welcome. Is there anything else I can do for you at this time?