Michael
Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home Appliance Technician
11519491

I want to locate a fish tank in an upstairs room. The joists

I want to locate a fish tank in an upstairs room. The joists are 38mm x 220mm spaced on 42/44cm centres. The base dimensions of the tank are 102cm x 50cm with six points of contact with the ground, one in each corner and one each back and front of the long side in the middle. The tank will be positioned at 90 degrees to the direction of the joists. The weight of the tank could be as much as 500kg and I have been advised top place it on a sheet of 22mm marine ply to distribute the weight. One side will be up against and outside wall and the long side will be up against a wall which is above a load bearing wall. My question is, am I close enough to the limits to need a structural engineer to visit me or is there enough margin to simply site the tank
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Michael :

hello

Michael :

your question is very valid,

Michael :

you should be fine with that set up especially due to the fact there is a load bearing wall below the tank area

Michael :

But I would still use the plywood sheet underneath the tank to distribute the weight evenly

Michael :

I have a few tanks myself lol;-)

Michael :

I will stick with you until the unit is fixed properly.

But please rate my service thus far to you before closing this page.

It won't cost you anything to further to rate and I will be with you at no additional cost until you have this repair complete;-)

Tech Michael

Michael :

I dont see any response from you so I will switch us to Q & A, you can respond there to me;-)

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve,
let me know if you need any further information I will be here even after you rate my service.
Thanks and have a great day, enjoy your new tank!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael

Thanks for the answer but did I make it clear that it's 500kg not pounds and that the tank won't be above the load bearing wall but next to the wall that's on it?

I'm sure you can understand my nervousness!

Steve

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve thanks, ***** ***** understand the load bearing walls location. But yes the 500 KG will still be ok as long as you use the recommended plywood under the tank to distribute the weight evenly;-)
Hope that settles your nerves lol.
I will stick with you until the tank is set up.
Thank you Steve and have a great day!
Tech Michael