canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman
64367226

I have a small flat on the first floor. The downstairs people

Customer Question

I have a small flat on the first floor. The downstairs people have a bad case of dry rot in their bathroom. I am worried that the dry rot may spread up to my flat unless it is treated immediately. However, they are planning to make structural changes to their flat, adding an extension and new kitchen, and want to wait until all the work can be done at the same time--i.e., once they have plans approved and panning permission--maybe 6 months time. Should I be worried and do I have any recourse?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. If there is water damage in their bathroom that has caused the wood to rot then there is no need for concern if the water causing the damage has been repaired or stopped. If there is mold then there should be concern as the spores will spread if the moisture is not contained. If there is mold then it should be cleaned by a professional and removed while it is dry.

Customer :

There is a lot of mold and large mushroom like spores in their bathroom. These have been sprayed with something which is supposed to stop them increasing but I don't know how effective that could be, and what rate dry rot spreads. Is it likely to spread within the next six months?

Customer:

It will not spread if it has been sprayed. This will kill the spores as long as it has been cleaned up also.

canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience: Handyman
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Maybe this is an odd question but I would like to know what would be fair payment for an out-of-work neighbour who has been working in home repair for some years and is now doing some work for us. He says we should just pay him what we like, but we want to be sure that he gets what he would het in any other home improvement and repair job--by the hour (He will probably be putting in at least 20 hours). Thanks

That is a tough financial standoff. Either you will have to get him to give you a number or you will have to decide when he is finished. I am not really sure what to suggest as far as a specific number.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All I want to know is what you would regard as a fair hourly pay for repair and decorating work???

16-20/hr