Michael
Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home Appliance Technician
11519491

The base of my exterior walls is damp. Is there something

The base of my exterior walls is damp. Is there something I can do, e.g. dig out some solid close to the wall and then lay concrete or special bricks to separate the wall from the earth and stop damp from the earth getting into the wall?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi I am tech Michael,
is this in a basement or above ground dwelling that you are getting the damp walls in?
Also how old is the house?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is on the ground floor. The house was built in the seventies.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Mark,
Is the exterior wall block or solid concrete?
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To be honest, I'm not sure. I suspect it is rendered blockwork.

If you can give me an email address I can send you a picture.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Mark,
The best way really to fix this is by sealing the walls from the inside and the floor as well if it isn't already sealed.
But they sell products you can either spray or paint on the the exterior of the masonry that will stop the water from getting in. Check with a local hardware store to see whats available in your area.
When you clear the soil from the walls, you need to wash the walls so they are clean and then let them dry for 2 full days or until the outside looks and feels dry, then you can apply the sealant.
I recently used a product for the same reason it is available from this website: http://www.vseal.com/
But check locally first to see what they us in your area so the price will be realistic;-)
I will stick with you until the unit is fixed properly.
But please rate my service thus far to you before closing this page.
It won't cost you anything to further to rate and I will be with you at no additional cost;-)
Thank you and have a great Sunday Mark;-)
Tech Michael