Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds Qualified plumber
46681511

The smoke emanated from mt downstairs neighbour's apartment

Customer Question

The smoke emanated from mt downstairs neighbour's apartment via my chimney which is adjacent to their flue both of which exit the building at roof level. There are no chimney pots. I was informed by a chimney sweep this was caused by wind blowing the smoke across my chimney which sucked the hot smoke down into my fireplace and out into the apartment. I understand that what happened is known as the Venturi Effect and that the stronger the wind the more the damage. Is this correct?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.
***** ***** : This can happen - can you tell me what sort of chimney pot you have?
JACUSTOMER-hzefz2pl- :

There is no chimney pot on either the flue from my apartment or on the flue from my neighbour's apartment. The flues only exit the building at roof level.

***** ***** : Does you boiler flue have a GC1 terminal then?
***** ***** : Like this link;
***** ***** : http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/en/heating/flues-chimneys/midtec-gc1-terminal-5/