Michael
Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home Appliance Technician
11519491

I have a wet room at home which has a screed lean to the back

Customer Question

I have a wet room at home which has a screed lean to the back tiled gully. It was tanked with a ardex water proofing system before it was tiled
I have drilled the floor to fit a glass shower cubical and have now noticed that water is coming up between the tile and stainless steel trim by the gully. Has water got under my tiles ? could water have penetrated the screed ? and if so what damage could it cause.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi I am sorry to hear that. Yes it sure sounds like there is a leak where you drilled. The damage can become wide spread as the water will continue to seep under the floor. The best thing to do when doing this, is to drill a wider opening and use a waterproofing base in the hole, baiscally a sealer so this cant happen. If you have some experience you can fix this by seailing the hole before doing anything else.
It s imperitive that this be fixed as soon as possible to avoid a costly repair.
It may be best to have a professional look at this and decide the best cure for you given the situation.
You can locate someone local by checking on line under home improvement handymen or companies. It is a common thing for this to happen over time all by it self but they will be able to rectify this or give the best advice so you can fix it with the best longest lasting locally available waterproofing product near you.
I can also help further if you give full details;-)
I will stick with you.
If you need me further you can reach me after rating at no additional cost until this problem is solved.
please be sure to give my answer a top-three rating.
It won't cost you anything to further to rate and I will be with you at no additional cost but you can always get in touch with me if you need further help;-)
Thank you and have a great evening, please rate my service to you kindly at this time no additional cost to you;-)
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What problem could it cause ? Can my tiles become lose and could it start mould under the tiles?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul,
yes that is a good possibility. but the water may be seeping in for a different location. In this case without actually seeing it I would too suspect that some tiles (even one) could have become loose and is allowing water to get in especially if over time, stepping on it that force compromised the waterproof material wearing even the tiniest hole in it.
That would cause this problem easily.
But see if you find any loose tiles or cracks in between then in the grout or sealing compound.
Please rate kindly I will still be with you until we have this fixed;-)
Have a great evening!