Michael
Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home Appliance Technician
11519491

My dometic fridge freezer tower in my motorhome is working

Customer Question

my dometic fridge freezer tower in my motorhome is working spasmodically on gas ok 12v and 230 v. It works on gas for hours and even days then we are wakened by the red warning light flashing switch off relight ok. I waited until my gas bottle emptied and manually changed it to my 2nd full one, ran for a day and night ok off several hours later relight still ok. regards ***** *****

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi John, I'm sorry to hear this.
How old is your fridge?
And to be sure, the only time you have this trouble is when running on gas?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
3years old
yes only on gas and can run for hours before the flashing LED TELLS ME IT NEEDS RESTARTING THEN OK FOR HOURS AGAIN NO PATTERN
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for that. This means that the inits gas system behind the fridge, specifically the safety device needs service, the part that needs special attention is called a thermocouple. Its responsible for allowing gas to flow when the until will burn the fuel and cutting it off when it cant detect the flame. Its common for this to need cleaning and should be done one a year as rule to prevent this problem.
More than likely it just needs a cleaning from your symptoms;-)
It seems it will run fine for a while but is always on the verge of shutting down thats normal though since it needs cleaning. This is best done by a local RV service shop as it is a delicate part and may also need an adjustment as well.
I will stick with you.
If you need me further you can reach me after rating at no additional cost until this problem is solved.
please be sure to give my answer a top-three rating.
It won't cost you anything to further to rate and I will be with you at no additional cost but you can always get in touch with me if you need further help;-)
I will stick with you.
Have a great day and please rate my service kindly at this time;-)
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The thermocouple has already been cleaned and adjusted and while I waited for your reply i contacted Dometic,
their free advice suggests the control panel is faulty snd they have changed numerous in the last year.
Your reply is therefore inaccurate.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi I have a lot of experience with this model lol, I have only seen the main control fail one time for similar symptoms. But if that was replaced recently, less than 1 year ago, then you may indeed have a faulty board.
If its been over 1 year, I would have it cleaned and adjusted because I bet thats the issue. Almost always;-)
Before you spend money on the main control board that might not be bad. I have been a tech on these for over 30 years and thats the direction I would go as well.
Its rare that the board will cause this problem after running for an extended period of time as your is, so I believe I am correct with this diagnosis.