Michael
Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home Appliance Technician
11519491

I am considering purchasing a cottage from 1800s. Ceiling heights

Customer Question

I am considering purchasing a cottage from 1800s. Ceiling heights on ground floor are quite low. Is it possible to dig out the floor to lower the floor (ie have step down when you enter the house) and that would allow for damp proofing, insulation, under floor heating, new tiles and also greater height to ceiling? If so - how expensive per meter squared is that likely to be. Really just want to know if it is even possible/feasible! Thanks, Babette
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Babette,
wow, that is an awesome idea loll.
But it would be very expensive depending on where the cottage is located and its size. Also whether pipes and electric run under the floor.
But that said, yes it is possible to do something like this but not at all realistic I'm afraid.
The problem is that the walls don't go down far enough and that would mean no true support for them and you would need to build up walls underneath where you dug out the floor. That is really very expensive to do. And actually it would be much less expensive and easier to raise the roof or rebuild the cottage believe it or not.
I wish I had better news for you on that Babette.
please let me know if you have any further questions for me and have a great day!
Also please don't forget to rate my service to you before you close this page;-)
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bab, please don't forget to rate my service to you and best of luck, you can always chat with me after rating if you want no additional cost to rate either;-)