Jason
Jason, Electrician
Experience:  Full time electrician in the USA for over 20 years. Verified USA JustAnswer Electrical Expert for approximately 7 years.
9920183

If my bathroom spotlights state maximum 35watts, can I use

If my bathroom spotlights state maximum 35watts, can I use MR16 6w LED Incandescent Equivalent: 50 Watt?
I'm not sure if the 6w or equivalent 50w is the figure to look at?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
The 6 watts is the actual draw of the bulbs. They are rated to put out the light of a 50 watt bulb. Therefore, they should be fine on a switch or fixture rated at 35 watts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. I've just checked the light fitting and it shows:

Max 12v 35w MR16

Please can you double check the link for me if these bulbs will be ok:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TOP-MAX-Bulbs-Bright-Equivalent-Halogen/dp/B00SWK80AW/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1434305475&sr=8-15&keywords=halogen+bulb+mr16

I'm a little confused as the title shows 240v but in the product description below it, it shows 12v ac.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Sure. I would be happy to check out the link. Do you mind standing by?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No problem. Thanks

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
I don't see 240 in the title. They operate on 12 volts. It's possible they go in a fixture with a transformer, which steps 240 volts down to 12 volts. That would be common here in the USA, only we would step 120 down to 12. We wouldn't install these fixtures on a 240 volt circuit. However, I understand that the UK doesn't use 120 volts for anything.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please can you open the link and click on the option for 'MR16 day white' and quantity 6, the title shows:

TOP-MAX 6Pcs Of MR16 6w LED Bulbs Spot Light 240V 30D Super Bright Day White(6000K) Bulbs Equivalent to 50W Halogen Lamp With Energy Class A [Energy Class A]

So would this be ok and it is 12v?

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. I stepped away from my computer while I was waiting for your reply. I'll check the description now.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
That particular bulb may be available in either voltage (240 volts, or 12 volts). It would be best to contact the seller to get the correct information.