Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Fully qualified plumbing , heating and gas engineer 20 years experience
77408428

I have a SIME DGT HE Format combi boiler running on LPG and

I have a SIME DGT HE Format combi boiler running on LPG and the fault code AL 02 is flashing indicating low water pressure. I have increased the water pressure but this has made no difference.  (I will be away from home for a few hours now from 16:00 so will not be able to respond until later / tomorrow.)

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , there are a couple of things to check first .let me know when you are back and I will go through it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm back now - is this a good time for you?

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , can I ask what bar did you pressurise the boiler to ?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , can talk tomorrow if OK with you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Let's talk tomorrow. I'll try you in the morning.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , I'm around if you are
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi - I'm available now to try and move things forward. You may have missed my answer last night that I've pressurised the boiler to about 1.4 bar - it's hard to see exactly, as the pressure gauge is underneath the boiler which is above a counter top!

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , is there any chance of using a mirror to get the exact pressure , just so we can move on from that ? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi - good thinking! I've checked with a mirror and it's exactly 1.5 Thanks

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi the boiler is indicating low water pressure , but is the boiler still working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No the boiler isn't working, there's a red flashing light and a flashing error code AL 02 which indicates low water pressure.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
OK , the water pressure switch may be faulty . have you tried turning thgebpower to the boiler off for 5 mins then back on for a reset?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've tried turning the power to the boiler off but not for 5 minutes, only for a few seconds and then on again. I'll try turning off for 5 mins and then turn on and reset.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
OK , thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately that hasn't made any difference. I switched on after 7 minutes and still red light on and flashing AL 02 error message. I tried pressing reset button but red light staying on.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
OK , the water pressure switch must be faulty and needs replacing . fairly easy to do ,couple of wires to come off then isolate the boiler flow and return valve , drain the boiler and replace .
Unfortunately if the water pressure switch is faulty the boiler cannot fire .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi - is it worth me trying to increase the pressure to a higher level to see if that makes any difference?

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Worth a try , there may be some sludge in the switch opening .take it to just below 3 as the safety will opn at 3 bar and the water will release outside via the discharge pipe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks I'll try that...

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As soon as I increased the water pressure up to around 2 the red light went out, but boiler is still not starting after pressing reset button - do I need to switch off for 5 mins again?

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Yes , try that
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience: Fully qualified plumbing , heating and gas engineer 20 years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will do. All now working again - boiler is functioning. Thank you for your help with this.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Just got to go out for an hour and half , can we talk then , thanks