AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Electrical contractor's license
53189252

I have a dimmable uplighter with a max output of 150w. My

I have a dimmable uplighter with a max output of 150w.
My current bulb is a standard 130w bulb but I want to replace it with an energy saving daylight bulb to be as bright as possible (but minimum equivalent to 130w). There are many energy saving 30w equivalent to 150w bulbs but they are not suitable on dimmers.
If I do not use the dimmer switch (it is always set to the highest setting), can I use one of these bulbs or will it cause problems? I don't want to change the dimmer switch for a standard switch at the moment as I may be moving house and may use the dimmer in the end in a brighter room. I am trying to find an energy saving bulb that is uses less energy that 105w bulbs available.
What are my options please for an energy saving bulb that produces maximum light that uses less than 105w?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.It does take a matched set of dimmer and bulb in most applications, they are not what we call , universal unfortunately.Please get the model of the bulb you are now using, as there are many variations of bulbs and the way they are installed.From there, we can research what may work with yours for the best lighting output.Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's an E27 bulb, 240v/130w. Does that help?

Ok, thanks.Since the fixture uses a standard E27 bulb, I would suggest to go with what is referred to as a "corn cob" bulb.They are made with high Lumen output for more situations than the standard LED bulbs.A 100 watt incandescent bulb would output approx. 1000 lumens.So, you get an LED with the equivalent lumen output and there will be no change in usable light.What happens, is the general public looks for manufacturers who post their lamp is "equivalent" to a 100 watt bulb.But, when you look at the lumens which is the light output, they will be half or less than the incandescent bulbs.Very misleading. So, instead, purchase a bulb that is equivalent in the LUMENS. Here are a couple to look at that will perform well for years. I have been retrofitting my own home with these over the past year and love themMy whole downstairs uses less power than one fixture with CFL upstairs. Warm White--CLICK HERECool White--CLICK HERECool whites are generally a pure white in realityBut even if you do not like those, do your investigation for the LUMENS output of the bulb and ignore the manufacturer claims on equivalent wattage.You want 1000 lumens approx. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. Can these bulbs be used on a dimmer switch please?

Ok,The post stated you would not be dimming the bulbs but always having a 100% output on the dimmer.When you start dimming, then you have to MATCH the dimmer with proven and accepted LED bulbs.That is a whole different situation., Will need the dimmer make and model number to investigate if it can be used for LED or any energy saving lamp.The dimmer may not work with dimming anything but incandescent bulbs and would have to changed to actually dim an LED or CFL energy saving bulb.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to confuse, I won't be using the dimmer itself, I have it on the 100% output. I didn't know if the fact that it is a dimmer switch in itself would cause problems with the bulb or if it is only when you start to use the dimmer switch to a lower setting is the problem.

To clarify, I won't be altering the setting, just keeping it on the highest output. So on this basis, am I ok to use on my light?

Would both these options be ok...(the lamp's specifications show 220-240v / max 150w)?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Generic-1500Lumen-White-Light-180-260V/dp/B00DIQI35M/ref=sr_1_2?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1435234065&sr=1-2&keywords=1500+lumens

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HEMME-Spiral-Daylight-Equivalent-Spectrum/dp/B007NN0IPE/ref=sr_1_1?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1435234146&sr=1-1&keywords=1500+lumens

I also have a question about my bathroom halogen lamps but will post that as a separate question to you.

Many thanks in advance, your information is very helpful and not something I was aware of!

Ok,Yes, either of those should work. Those are even larger than I posted, so you will need to verify the fixtures ability to accept a larger size bulb.That is the length and diameter, not the lumens or wattage.That will be the only thing that than keep the bulb from being fitted, otherwise it is fine.The one shows:Product Dimensions 15.4 x 6.4 x 6 cmSo will a bulb that physical size fit in the fixture is the question.If the dimmer is at 100% all the time, it will output the proper voltage and work.If you turn the dimmer down any at all, it can change for sure.Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for your excellent advice.

I will check the sizes before buying.

I am trying to post another question directly to you but it won't allow as it is showing you are offline. Is it possible for you to please go online so I can post this?

Not sure why it states that, I am online at this time.Post and I will see the question on the board