Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Fully qualified plumbing , heating and gas engineer 20 years experience
77408428

I have a Sime Aqua 40 oil boiler. I have replaced the pressure

I have a Sime Aqua 40 oil boiler. I have replaced the pressure valve and the expansion tank but the pressure gauge which I set at 1.5 bar keeps building up and then releases at 3 bar within a day or so. It is doing the same whether the central heating is on or just the domestic hot water. Any ideas? regards John
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi . you need to check the pressure of the expansion tank . with the pressure at zero, use a gauge( I use a car tyre one) to make sure the expansion tank is at 1.5 bar .if not pump it up with system at zero .the gauge will go up as you do this .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done what you have suggested and will let you know tomorrow if it has worked. Thank you. John

Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.

Kindly ignore this post as the system has locked the post to me, by responding in this way it will allow you to continue your conversation with Toby. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Toby,

I'm afraid that the gauge has crept up to about 2.5 bar and possibly higher as it has released more water. Any other suggestions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Toby,

I hope this is getting to you, as another expert has come through. Unfortunately the gauge is creeping up to 2.5 bar or higher and has released water. Any other suggestions?

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.

Hi , what was the pressure of the expansion vessel? Have you added any new radiators or enlarged the system somehow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, No, I have not added anything new, it was just that the bladder in the original tank must have ruptured, probably with age, (the system is more than ten years old). I put the pressure at about 18 psi (just under 1.4 bar) I was a bit concerned at putting it any higher as the manual says 1 bar.

Is it possible to talk to you on the phone?

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.

I have sent a phone offer to you . I am finding hard to find your boiler manual . could you recheck the moidel and look for the GC number on its data badge , thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Toby,

I cannot find a 'GC' number but I have the following:

Aqua 40 CE 0049 dir 92/42 CEE

Cd.(###) ###-####/p>

No.(###) ###-####/p>

I have just looked for a manual, but each time I put in Solo Duetto Aqua manual in Google (mine has that on the front) it comes up with internal error. I tried www.sime.it and went into products and then followed leads and there is a manual for aqua 40 (various types) mine seems more like an Aqua OF but the drawings in info are not exactly the same.

Regarding the phone help, are you on a land-line number? It makes a difference to me as 08 numbers and mobiles cost me a fortune from France.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , I have phonesime UK and they have not heard of it . it must be a model designed for the European market . can I ask whether the heating does work? I'm wondering if the pump is working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, yes the central heating works fine. One thing I did think about, was that could the water bypass the filler valve and make the pressure higher? I am a retired motor mechanic and have used the old trick of listening through a screwdriver but cannot hear any water going through.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Could be , however you could test that by turning off the cold mains and running the heating .if the pressure didn't go up you may have solved it .
Also I am wondering if there could be a hole/ crack in the domestic hot water heat exchanger that opens up when hot. I think next step to isolate the cold water and see if the pressure stays steady
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Toby,

Sorry I did not get back to you, I am having difficulty in locating the valve that I need, I can get a 3/4 non return one which is much too large with reducers, but not a 3/8. I will come back to you when I have some more news. John

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.

No probs John.

Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience: Fully qualified plumbing , heating and gas engineer 20 years experience