canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman
64367226

My Potterton Promax SL is making a harsh vibrating noise.

My Potterton Promax SL is making a harsh vibrating noise. The noise is intermittent, happening usually at least a minute after the boiler has fired up, lasts usually less than 5 seconds but can go on for 20 seconds. It only does it once in an ignition cycle but doesn't do it every cycle. Ideas would be welcome.
M Calvert
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Has this problem always been there or is it a new problem on an older system? Has the system ever been serviced and flushed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Problem started in January 2015. System is 4 years old and has been regularly serviced. It hasn't been flushed.

I would first have said that it may be a circulation problem or restriction but considering the age, I would think that would be less likely. It is more likely a blockage in the heat exchanger or possibly a combustion issue. If it were a combustion issue the exhaust would need to be tested by a professional to see if an adjustment is needed for the gas. I would say that the most likely is a slight blockage in the heat exchanger is causing a restriction. This would be fixed with a flushing. It is recommended to have the boiler flushed yearly to prevent scale buildup and keep the system running at it's best. The only other issue that would cause this would be if the diaphragm in the boiler is not correctly pressured or is slightly leaking internally but again the system is not that old and the diaphragm should be fine considering the age of the boiler.