AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Electrical contractor's license
53189252

I have a cybex pro treadmill and it is tripping my RCD. It

I have a cybex pro treadmill and it is tripping my RCD. It sometimes happens when I turn it on and sometimes when it is running.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Some details are needed on the situation:1. Is this a new item just now being used at the home or has been working properly in the past and now creating the problem?2. Is the receptacle and cord grounded (has 3 prongs?)?3. Is the unit plugged directly into the receptacle? Or another cord being used?4. Does the problem take place when the motor is On only? Or both on and off? Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The treadmill is about 12 years old. It is a commercial treadmill and receives light use. I have had it from new. I have had this problem for a couple of years now. I have very recently had the electrics checked in the house and all seems to be fine.

The treadmill is properly grounded.

It is plugged into its plug socket with no other appliance using the same socket.

The problem takes place when the motor is on or when the treadmill is turned on. I do not leave it switched on.

Ok, thank you for the additional information.Looking over the schematics of the unit, I would suggest the following:1. Inspection of the connections on the circuit from the panel to the treadmill receptacle.Any loose connection on the circuit can cause the RCD to trip.This may have been done in your prior check, but want to be sure the connections received a diligent inspection. 2. Need to open and inspect the mains connection in the treadmill, paying close attention to the connectionsMust be tight with no signs browning or discoloration, which usually accompanies long term usage with motors3. The main power filter in the unit could be deteriorated, it is a hard one to determine without testing, but inspection and voltage readings should suffice to determine. Since it sometimes trips when only turned on and no motors running, I would suspect the issue in the mains connection and the filter since they are on the front side of the operation.RCD's are for determining any small faults on the circuits for electrocution safety, and so a loose connection or bad board in the treadmill with age, will cause the problem, even though it is not bad enough to cause other problems.Motors are very notorious for tripping RCD's as they age , because the internal insulation begins to deteriorate.Same for any transformers, although the diagram on the unit does not show one, they must use a voltage converter of some type for the controls. Those are the items to inspect and look for that I see on the schematics.Maybe there is a service company somewhere that works on treadmills to perform the inspection and testing? Let me know anything further needed,Thanks
Experience: Electrical contractor's license