AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Electrical contractor's license
53189252

Beko freezer model TZDA 629 F trips RCD protection circuit.

Beko freezer model TZDA 629 F trips RCD protection circuit. What is the likely cause of this?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.The freezers compressor has most likely aged and the insulated windings are allowing enough leakage of current between the Live and Neutral to trip the RCD RCD’s will trip at low values of earth leakage current due to: ***** ***** contamination; cracks or faults in insulation caused by thermo-mechanical stress or mechanical damage; arcs or sparks when the motor winding short-circuits or grounds . This happens often as any motors age and the resistance decreases on the internal windings, but not to the point that the motor will not run properly. (compressors for refrigerant are motors as well) Many motors are also get a lot dust inside and must be blown out and cleaned because this too, causes a change in the resistance and current flow. A compressor will not have this issue since they are sealed units.The live and neutral must equal or be within the range of the RCD, which can be 30ma to 300ma depending on the one installed.Best check to see if it is the compressor or fan motor if it has one, is to disconnect the compressor from the internal circuit and then plug the freezer into the circuit.The fault could be great and the compressor will fail on a non RCD circuit, plugging into a non protected circuit would provide the information if available. Unfortunately, there is no way around the situation, unless you have independent RCD's on individual circuits and not the mains which allows for the appliance to be on a different rated one . Even then, it is not a guarantee, and why a leakage test can determine how bad it is on the windings. Let me know anything further,Thanks
Experience: Electrical contractor's license