Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds Qualified plumber
46681511

I am looking advice on flooring, we have underfloor

Customer Question

I am looking for expert advice on flooring, we have underfloor heating in the kitchen, when the extension was done the builders put down the ply, and then tiler laid porcelain tiles... We've had nothing but problems with them, grout cracking and coming out... They've been up and put back down at great expense and still the same problem so there's obviously movement.
I'm fed up and want to get it resolved permanently. The problem is the kitchen is laid over the tiles... I now think we should have had amtico flooring or something like that... I'm desperate for advice, I know whatever I do will be costly but I need the right people for advice and the job so that it's fixed first time. I don't know who to trust anymore... Can you help ?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.
Over underfloor heating you should have 2 layers of at least 9mm ply laid at right angles to each other to prevent movement and cracking, you should still also use a flexible adhesive and flexible grout.The only other way is to use a cement based board over the top and tile on top of that.If you do not want to strip it all out then you may have to remove the tiles, clean the board and then use a vinyl tile that can flex.