AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Electrical contractor's license
53189252

I am currently building new house, I am looking

Customer Question

I am currently building new house, I am looking for advice on light switches and how/if I can make them internet friendly, so I can turn them on and off from practically all over the world using my I phone, and if I could do the same with heating system.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.
There are many systems out there now, but this is one of the best;http://www.control4.comThese are used on a lot of high end new builds as the cabling required is buried in the wall at the time of installation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Andrew, thanks for your fast reply, I do a bit of Diy, so I was more wondering what type of cabling I'd need to run to each switch and how I would connect it to Internet, sorry for annoying you but I do appreciate ur help,
Gerry.
Some of the simpler systems need a main controller and then you change the socket or lightswitch to be controlled.This is done over your wifi and can be controlled from anywhere.Try this link;https://idency.com/products/gateways/fibaro-home-center-lite/?gclid=CNu8z_23pMgCFUGD2wodA2IGmA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Andrew, thanks for those links, I would prefer not to rely on wireless and wondering if you could tell me the required cabling to each switch/applicanace and also what type of switch would be functional to switch off manually and with the Internet.
The problem is you have to decide on a system before I can tell you how to wire it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I pick a system Andrew it would be based on know knowledge, what I'd like is for you to suggest a system, that would be effective but not too dear, and then explain to me what's required to wire it and make it user friendly, thanks again
Gerry.
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thanks for your patience,
Adam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much, I would appreciate if u can keep searching for an answer for me, thanks in advance
Gerry.
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back to me.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Adam
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Adam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes if you don't mind can you continue your search, thanking you in advance Gerry.
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back to me.
Adam
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.I would make the suggestion, of using a system such as the X-10 or the Insteon system (although I dont think the Insteon is available yet in the UK or Ireland)Those systems have a great advantage over the others in my opinion. They have the equipment for either using the actual power lines in the home for the network or they have the wireless.This allows you to wire the home as usual with no special wiring etc.You then install their switches, modules and controllers later as needed, on a one by one basis for budget, or all together at one time, your choice of how many at any time.They use the existing power lines in the home for the communication and operation. But, you can install the wireless too and have them as well, all up to you which way to go.The only extra item needed is to have a neutral wire connection available at all switch locations, which is very easy to do when building a home, the electrical contractor will know how to wire the switches.Other than that, it is standard wiring and no added costs.My opinion, it is the smartest way to go and they are adding to their systems all the time, so it will get even smarter.CLICK HERE and look at the X-10, read over all the material and components to see what the thought is on them.Most all other systems use the wireless technology, even those with the high level platforms with all the programming which is time consuming and very difficult for some after the installation.CLICK HERE to see the Insteon, it may be in your country before too long, but is does already work with 50 hz and 230 volt power. Just uses different boxes than you do now.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tommy good morning and thank you for a very informative and helpful response, sorry now if I'm showing my ignorance but just a few questions, if I have for example 20 switches that I want automate, do I take 20 neutral wires back to a switch board,/ x 10 controller where I can later operate with my I phone, I also like ur idea of buying one switch at time depending on budget but is there room in current switch for x 10 controler, and last question if you have a multiple switch is it possible get a multiple x 10, I was struggling to find one on that web sight. Thanking you again
Gerry.
Hi Gerry,I can answer some right off the bat and will look into some of the other to be sure.1. On the neutrals:You electrician will be wiring the switches to begin with, so all you do is use a 3 core with earth cable instead of a 2 core with earth cable to the ceiling rose. It is that simple. There is always a neutral at the light fitting and when you wire switches, you have power down, then power back up to the light. So, you use a 3 core cable to the light fitting, and now you have power down, power back up and a neutral.This has already been implemented in the US, and a neutral is required in every switch box for the same reason, because so many of todays technology requires using a neutral. It avoids having to add cables later.Maybe Europe will do it sometime in the future. 2. There should be enough room for the x-10 controllers, and I will also look to see if the Insteon system is also listed for use in Europe. I know they are UL listed for North America and rated for 50 hz, so seems they should be good for other countries, otherwise why 50 hz. Let me check on that as well. 3.I will have to verify on the ganging situation, but believe they can be now. Will post later on this. Will update later, Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tommy I am seriously impressed and thank you, ***** ***** look forward to hearing from u.
Thank you, ***** ***** problem, hope to have more info in a short while.
Looking through all the components, which they have many options for control.The best solution to ganging , is to use the light controllers.You will be installing Momentary switches in lieu of the standard switches.These are available the same as the standard since many companies are getting on boardfro the new wave of technology.These connect to the controller and operate the light without a neutral in the switch boxwhich makes it more versitleYou need to install deep switch back boxes instead of the standard or smaller onesThey suggest Minimal back box depth: 40mm, advice 50mmSo, if you use the deep back boxes on all your switches, and also run the 3 core cable to provide a neutralyou will have extra options on your installation.You will have both bases covered.Light controller seen here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tommy you seemed to have answered all my questions and educated me,as I'm only in building process, would it be ok if I come back to you if I have querys when I'm installing smart switches, I am very grateful for your help and thank you most sincerely,
Gerry.
Ok, very good. Glad to be of assistance.You can request your preference expert directly when you post your questions, they allow that option when posting.We are not always on line due to our own work schedules , so keep that in mind if needing an immediate response, other we pick them up as come and go throughout the course of the day.Have your sparky doing the work on the home, to provide you quotes on the changes of the boxes and neutrals as it would not be their standard way.Thanks and please do perform the rating so that I may receive credit for the assistance provided.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning again Tommy, yes will have a sparky working on it, sorry I'm a bit lost there when you say quotes and changes, could u clarify and educate me, also basically when I av switches and 3 core fitted it all comes back to a main junction box,(is it) that I can operate via wifi, or how those that end work, also you have no worries about rating I will be giving you top ratings, thanking you again,
Gerry.
Ok,Not sure how else to phrase the information:When you get your electrical quote, be sure and have them include the 3 core cables to all switches and to include also the deeper switch back boxes to accommodate the relays. Thats all.The wifi is only a small part of the system, it has nothing to do with using the 3 core cable. The 3 core is so you can fit the components and power them.The wifi is only an interface you install and it communicates with all the other components in the house.Just like your computer automatically connects through wifi to the internet. I think you may be over thinking the situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now Im with you, quote as in price of job, am totally with you and understand about room behind switches and wifi, Tommy thanks a million and if that's it for now I will rate u, and you have no worries it will be top marks, thanks again Gerry.

Ok, very good and thank you. Glad to be of assistance. Building a new home can be quite stressful, so wish the best .