AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Electrical contractor's license
53189252

I have two fuse Spurs in a cupboard outside a small wet room.

Customer Question

I have two fuse Spurs in a cupboard outside a small wet room. One controls the lights and the other controls the electric shower. i wanted to install a switch outside the cupboard for ease of access. I have taken the positive and negative from the out side of the spur and wired them into the L1 and common on the double switch. I then turned on the fuse spurs thinking I could now control the Spurs from the switch. The switch said it can handle 250 volts ac and 10 ax. This isn't the case as the fuse blows every time I try the switch and now the shower doesn't work at all. Please could someone give me some advice.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Please first, disconnect the wires from the switch to get everything back to the original and then start over.Do you plan on keeping the existing switch or install the new one only for the light?Easiest to install the new switch and just wire to the 2 wires at the existing switch, using some terminals to join them together. Then blank of the old switch location..Having 2 switches for the same light requires a lot more cables and wiring changes.The switch will not have the Live and Neutral both on it, it only has one Live from power source and then one switched LIve back tot he light.That is why it trips the fuse, you are shorting out the circuit. Let me know which way you wish to proceed and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its a switched fuse spur at the moment and I was trying to take the pos- neg from switched fuse spur to a new switch. Like you have mentioned though. It shorts the circuit. I need to find the switched live and connect those cables in the switch for the lights. Is there anyway round that for the shower

Ok,Please clarify?"Its a switched fuse spur at the moment"You have a switch now, that actually turns the spur power on and off?Do Not understand exactly what it is you wish to do?