AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Electrical contractor's license
53189252

There, I'm wiring an outside light, below this light is

Hi there, I'm wiring an outside light, below this light is a standard 13a socket, so I've taken the 3 cores into the light switch, and I have the 3 cores coming in from the outside light.
The light switch can be a 2 way but the switch only needs to turn off/on one light, I can't get this to work at all, apart from the switch turning on the wrong way round, any help wold be great
Cheers
Glen
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Hi Glen, sorry to hear on the trouble, give me some details and lets see what may be wrong.How is your 3 core connected at the socket?How is it connected at the switch box location, including the switch?I assume the switch has Com, L1 and L2 terminals? Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, yes the socket is just standard wiring and then paralleled out into the switch socket, yes it's Com/ L1 and L2 also forgot to say there is a tiny neon light as well :)
Ok, Glen, dont see how the switch is wired in the post?But, lets get it without the neon light at the moment, as I need the actual switch Make and Model if it doesnt light.But the switch should function the light:Connect the Blue form the outlet to the Blue to the light in a small terminal blockThen connect the Black from the outlet to the COM on the switchConnect the Black to the light on the L1 on the switchThe yellow/green will connect together at any and all locations for grounding safety.If they use the power through the switch, the neon should still light this way. Is that how you have it all connected now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a little confused
The colours are Brown, blue and yellow and the switch is labelled Com, 1way and 2way
If you could just explain again with this code, sorry for the trouble 😀
Ok, my apologies, should have been Brown and not Black, my bad. Brain was thinking on old colors at the same time as typing for some reason.You will connect the 2 blues together with a small terminal block,Connect the Brown from the outlet to the COM on the switchConnect the Brown to the light to the 1way on the switchyellow/green are connected together everywhere always for safety
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's exactly what I did but the switch is switching on the Wrong way round?? I'm baffled?
Ok,Not understanding the "wrong way round"?Move your Brown on the 1 way, to the 2 way terminal, that should reverse the situation if that is what you are meaning.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's it 😀😀 so just pop the neon in the same places?
I do not know your particular manufacturers model of the switch. Who made it and what Model number?Not sure how they are using the Neon?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok the light switch is made by BG British General weather proof/ Storm, single outdoor switch 2 way 20AX
THe Neon is now coming on the opposite way round, on when light is off, off when light is on, this is causing a leakage so when the light is off it flashes as the neon is on so must be sending power to the lamp??
Ok,I think you have the switch module backwards or something.It is originally setup for the switch to be wired to the Com and 1 way with the neon on when the light is on .The neon has a bridge to the 1 way.The neon can work in 3 ways as shown below:The unit has Neon Indicator pre-wired between the COM terminal & terminal block, with a Link wire to 1 WAY terminal. The Neon can be wired in one of three ways.1. Power Mode: Neon ALWAYS ON when POWER is ON.2. Switch Mode: Neon ONLY ON when switch is ON.3. Locator Mode: Neon ONLY ON when switch is OFF. Move the link wire to the 2 way and see if that makes it work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
😀 The light works as it should now, but the neon still not working but to be honest not to bothered as long as the switch works 😀
I have wired the neon to Com and now the 2 way terminal and it's not working but honestly not too bothered unless you can think of anything else?? 😀
Ok,The one thing I just saw, when I blew the diagram up from the manual on the switch.They show a small terminal block to the top corner where the neon is actually connected.You can then move the link on one side from the switch and connect to the neutralsSo, then the Neon is wired to the 2 way and to the neutral and will turn on with the light.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So just to clarify, one end to the Neutrals and the other to 2 way? Have I got that right? 😀
Yes, if you look at the picture, the neon has one side wired to the little terminal on the corner. Then there is a link wire from the corner also that is connected to the switch.Remove that link wire from the switch and connect it to neutral. The other wire form the neon would then connect to the 2 way terminal, same as the outside lightIt should turn on the Neon at the same time to let you know the light is on.
Experience: Electrical contractor's license