canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman
64367226

I am having trouble removing my bathroom door handle

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Any idea what the brand and model is? Are you replacing the handle assembly with new?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a brass bathroom lockable handle. see here...https://www.yogile.com/z29poxbn#41mI have removed the 4 screws but the handle will not cime off...
Did you take the strike plate and latch out first? If you take that part out then the handle will pull out. Take the two screws out on the end of door where the latch is and remove the latch, which holds the handles together.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know what a strike plate is. :(I have taken the two screws out of this part............................https://www.yogile.com/z29poxbn#41mbut the handles will not come off
Oh, I see the picture now. When I tried the first one I must not have copied it correctly. There is an allen screw on the handle. That is what holds the handle on there. So, are you replacing the whole assembly then? Loosen the allen screw on the handle then it pulls off of the post, then the other handle will pull out, then the latch comes out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm replacing the whole unit - the Handles and the black piece inside the door. I think it is the locking part ie the little knob that stops the door from opening that is preventing me from removing everything?
Yes you have to take the handle off first. There is an allen wrench screw on the bottom of it or side. right at the base of it. It is very small.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I will take a photo of it and get an Allen key to fit it on Monday. Thanks for your help :)
You are very welcome. I am glad to help. If you look at one of the handles, it has a set screw that holds it to the post of the other. When you loosen the screw it will allow you to pull it off then the other handle will pull out with the post that the first handle was on....let me know if that does not make sense. You can still comment and ask questions and I am happy to continue to help. Mike