Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds Qualified plumber
46681511

I'm changing my light fitting at home. The previous fitting

Hi, I'm changing my light fitting at home. The previous fitting is plastic and the new one is metal. There doesn't seem to be an earth wire at the light, but the fuse board has a cpc fitted. What's the best course of action?
The new light doesn't seem to be double insulated.
In the front room, metal lights were already fitted, and they had an earth wire from the unit simply going into a screw that screwed into the ceiling? Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks, lee
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.
There should be an earth locally, is there one in the juction box that feeds the light?You will need to earth this and may involve working your way back to the nearest junction box to find one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There isn't one locally and I haven't yet found the junction box that feeds the lights. Shortly I'm taking all the carpets up from the upstairs rooms so I should have good access. Is it ok to wire in my own earth to each light - If so where is the best place to earth out the wire? Does it have to go back to the main curtain breaker board or can the wires be earthed on a pipe or something?
Thanks, Lee
You should wire it back to the board, but if you find another then you can combine but there should be one somewhere in every light pattress or juction box for continuity