AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Electrical contractor's license
53189252

I'm changing the ceiling light fixture in my office.

I'm changing the ceiling light fixture in my office. I have bought a new ceiling 3-spot light fitting from IKEA. Within the rose of the fitting is a standard block in which to put the live, neutral and earth wires.
On removing the old fitting, I find 2 cables - that is 2 sets of wires within each of the cables. So I have put each of the 2 live wires into the appropriate aperture in the block, each of the neutral into appropriate block aperture, and likewise the 2 earth wires.
On turning the electrics back on, I find that turning the light on at the wall trips the fuse box. If I have the wall switch in the 'on' position and set the trip again, the lights are on, but when I turn it off at the wall, the trip goes in the fuse box again.
My question is, can I exclude one of the sets of wires from one of the 2 cables to remedy this? Or is it more complicated and will need an electrician?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Can you look at the switch wires and confirm the colors on the switch? Do no unwire the switch, just look to see the wire colors connected.Do you have a 2 lead voltage tester?Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tommy, the light switch has the red (old colour live) wire going into the single hole at the bottom of the block. The black (old neutral is going into the one of the two apertures at the top of the block. The second aperture has no seating for a wire.I don't have a 2 lead voltage tester.
Ok, thanks.It appears the light fitting has one live cable and then the switch cable.In the light fitting is one of the blacks marked? Maybe some red tape or marker?They are supposed to mark it when used for switching and not a neutral.What we have to do, is the find the live cable.If no tester then it will be trial and error.Remove one cables wires from the fitting.Connect only one red and one black to the light fitting from the same cable and connect the light to them.Turn on power and see if the light comes on.If so, we know the correct live cable.If not, then remove those wires from the fitting and connect the other red and black to the fitting and the light and try again.It should come on.Once we have the Live cable, then you have to connect the switch up like the picture below shows.Look it over and let me know any questions at allThanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Tommy, I'll do as you suggest, but it will need to be in the morning. There is no marked black wire from the ceiling. So I'll go with trial and error!I'm a little confused with the picture. I take it that the "live and neutral in" is from the main circuitry. So if I connect up one red and one black to the fitting and with the light switch "on" turn the power on, and the lights are on, then we know this is the mains cable wires. This means the other set of wires is from the switch. Do I then put the black wire from the switch into the red (live) aperture in the block along with the red (live) from the ceiling (mains) wire? And then the red from the switch cable into the neutral aperture in the block?Thanks for this, I'll let you know if all goes according to plan tomorrow, Chris.
ok,first we are not using the switch on the test.Connect ONE CABLE at a time to the fitting and see which cable makes the light come on with power turn on at the fuse/breaker.Once the LIVE cable is know, follow the picture wiring, should be apparent but let me know.This means the other set of wires is from the switch. Do I then put the black wire from the switch into the red (live) aperture in the block along with the red (live) from the ceiling (mains) wire? YES And then the red from the switch cable into the neutral aperture in the block?NOThe return red from the switch has to connect to the light LIVE wire ONLY
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, So when I know which cable is which (testing with the light switch set to off) and then connect up the wires from the switch, both the black and red wires from the switch will go into the live aperture in the fittings block - 3 wires into same aperture. Would it be safer to put the two from switch into a a little block together and lead a wire from that into the live aperture in the fitting's block alongside the live from the mains?
both the black and red wires from the switch will go into the live aperture in the fittings block - 3 wires into same apertureno noPlease look at the picture posted, and follow the wiresLook at the black wire to the switch, it connects to the RED LIVE from the power cableLook at the Red wire from the switch, it connects to ONLY the light fixture LIVE wire---NOT power cable LIVEThe Neutral from the Light fixture connects to the Black from the Power cable
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Tommy,Sorry, I've got your message here, although I'm still not too sure where the red wire from the switch is supposed to go. The light fixture's live wire? Does this mean me putting it into the 'back' of the fittings block alongside the red live wire of the fitting, whilst on the other side of this part of the block - where the mains live wire is to go - I insert the the red live from the power AND the black neutral from the switch cable?Sorry for the confusion, I don't envy your job of trying to explain this without a picture of what's happening here! I'll be having a crack to morrow morning but will not put the 3 wires all into the live!
I am not sure why it is not visible in your picture? It plainly shows.The RED wire on the switch connects to the lighting fixture live wire that came pre-connected to the fixture.If you do not have an extra terminal strip on the light fitting, you will have to get one that installs separately in the housing area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tommy... success!!! Thanks for your patience. I did have to improvise a mini terminal block for the red switch wire to go into, along with the live wire of the fitting. I took a look inside the rose of a similar IKEA light fitting in the utility, fitted by the kitchen people last year. Again the guy had to improvise with other terminal blocks to accommodate the switch wiring. Normally I like my IKEA stuff!Thanks again, Chris.
Ok, excellent, glad to assist, you are most welcome.I do not know why they do not put enough terminals on some fixtures to allow everything, but guess they have their reasons.Good work on your end as well. If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.Otherwise, if you have all the information necessary-please don’t forget to perform the rating, so that I may receive credit for assisting on the situation.It is appreciated
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done!