AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Electrical contractor's license
53189252

I have two Dimplex GFP150w Girona panel heaters. For

Hi, I have two Dimplex GFP150w Girona panel heaters.
For some reason they have both stopped working properly. When you turn them on, after about 5 minutes they turn themselves off.
I'm guessing it is something to do with the thermostats in them, but if someone could clarify, that would be a great help!
Thanks,
Mark
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Can you use a separate thermometer and see what the temperature is next to each heater when they shutdown?Do they shutoff at the same time?How long does it take to turn back on? Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tommy,Thanks for getting back to me.I'll try and check tonight.Mark
Ok, Mark, thanks.What we want to do, is verify if the room is at the proper temperature or not based on the heater settings.I would set one heater low and then one high to see how the one set at the high temperature functions on its own.Then reverse them and make the low setting one the high and vice versa.That will give a lot of information, especially if one keeps running longer when its set high.Let me know how it goesThanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tommy, I checked both heaters last night.
The room is at 20 degrees C.
On one of the heaters, the light does not even come on when you press the button.On the other one the light comes on for a few seconds and then goes out. No matter what the temperature is set to. I tried to upload a video, but it wouldn't upload. Here is the link to my One Drive if you are able to access it?http://1drv.ms/214FPjRI also swapped the control units over to see if that made a difference, but i didn't.Any ideas would be much appreciated.Thanks,Mark
Ok Mark, thanks.So, originally you stated they would operate for 5 minutes then stop.Now, you are stating that neither heater will even provide any heat at all?Is that correct?The instruction shows the thermostat as a slider, but looks like yours has an accessory module with digital display, so I will findthat accessory module instruction to see its operation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is correct.
I hadn't tried to turn them on for a long time as i knew that they weren't working and didn't need them on anyway.As you can see from the video, the turning off is almost instant and there is no heat generated that i can feel.I think the digital display is just a programmable timer unit. There are no temperature control functions available on this, just Manual On
Manual Off
Auto (programmable times)As you can also see from the video, the timer is set to Manual OnModel number of it is 24 hour digital timer (RX24TI as per the below website.
http://www.dimplex.co.uk/products/domestic_heating/installed_heating/panel_heaters/glass_fronted_xx_range/technical_specification.htmThanks
Ok, thanks. Please turn the slider to MAX 100% and try again to see if any change on either one.The video shows the slide not at 100 % as asked previously and so we need to see if the room temperature has been met or not, as the heater will not turn on if the room temp is sufficient for the setting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Tommy, although the video doesn't show it, I did try to set it to 100% as well last night.
It seems to turn off slightly quicker than when it is at 0%On the other heather, the light doesn't come on at all at any level.
Ok, thanks.Seems to be an issue with the master ON relay inside the unit. This is what would hold the unit on and then operate the heat as needed by the thermostat.I will check to see if it is a replaceable part or not.My fear is, that it is not a repairable item, but hopefully maybe a new control board is available
Looks like they sell that as a complete unit, which is usally the case, since the parts are part of the main board.CLICK HERE
Experience: Electrical contractor's license
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great, thank you! Do you think that this is definitely the cause of the issue?
It is the only board that controls the unit, so do not see how anything else has anything to do with the situation.Unless you have a power problem but your display shows up, so power seems to be OK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've just bought 2 new thermostats, so hopefully they will do the trick! (Hopefully it shouldn't be to difficult to fit them). Thank you for your help!