AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Electrical contractor's license
53189252

I have bought a replacement fan bathroom. My

I have bought a replacement fan for my bathroom. My question is, the wire from the house is only live and neutral, red/black. the fan has 3 terminals, neutral, live and switched live. Can I run a spare wire from the existing live if I use a terminal block?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , are you going to have the fan running all the time? Or only when the light is switched on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just when the light is switched on. It's also on a timer.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi wire the fan switched live to the light switched live
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already tried the red live wire in both the live and switched live terminals. My question is, if I use a terminal block to split the red live to both?
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Seems the professional has left the conversation. Most of these fans need a full time live, along with the switched live to operate since they are usually associated with an internal timer so when you leave the room and turn the switch off, the fan runs until the timer is timed out. You could connect both the switch live and live terminals to the switched live from the switch, but the fan will not be able to time out, since when you turn off the switch, it will kill all the power and the fan will turn off. Go ahead and split the red switched wire to both and see if the operation is suitable for your use. Let me know how it goes, will be here if neededThanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply, Tommy. 👍
So, because I only have neutral and live, I will have to live with no time out feature?
I will have a go at this tomorrow and let you know the outcome. 👍 👍
Yes, that is correct.With only the switched live, the fan cannot time out because it has no permanent live to allow operation after the switch is off.Only other option is to run another single core cble with a permanent live.Connecting the switched red wire to both the live and switched live on the fan, will at least allow operation when the switch is on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks once again, Tommy. 👍 👍
You are most welcome.
Experience: Electrical contractor's license