JamesI
JamesI, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

I am doing a little loft conversion, I'm not new to

Customer Question

I am doing a little loft conversion, I'm not new to construction etc but dont do much with floor spans, when i look at sizes required for my needs, it not only looks totally over the top but is also reducing the height of the room a little too much
So my question is, for a width of 4.9 metres approx gable end to gable end, what would be the SMALLEST construction grade timber I would need?...c16 or c24? cheers Mike
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Obviously I mean what size timber is the smallest I can use and I guess it would be either c16 or c24 type?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Based on UK building control guidelines your looking at 600mm or less spacing between joists, using 75mm x 220mm timber with a strength class of C.24.

I wouldnt use anything less than class C24 timber, but it comes back down to what the room will be used for (eg indoor gym). The smallest I would go with would be 47mm x 220mm with spacing no greater than 400mm apart.

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well it is just gonna be a bedroom, but 220mm is huge....is there a way to use 175mm?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

I am no architect, but looking at the model I have to get away with 175 your talking about a gable end of less than 3.9M, so thats a massive difference. Is there no way you could drop the ceiling hight below the floor to accommodate?

I just had a quick look for unofficial guidelines, as I would tend to agree 220 is on the huge side, but even looking at this site here, its suggesting 220mm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will see if i can put it flush upto the original ceiling boards instead of above the current beams.....Tell you what even though it is 4.9 metres, seems far to excessive of a size. Thanx for your help anyway, cheers Mike
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

No problem Mike, appreciate if you could rate the service received today so I may close this case.

James

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

So I may close the case I would appreciate if you could rate the service received to date.

James

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

Please could you rate the service received so I may close the question?

James