JamesI
JamesI, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

A recent problem has developed in my house: whenever I try

Customer Question

A recent problem has developed in my house: whenever I try to use the vacuum cleaner of skill saw, the main house circuit breaker trips. This also happens if I try to use more than one other appliance at the same time (i.e. the kettle and the toaster). None of the individual circuit breakers trip, it's always the house main. In a 3,500 sq. ft. house, there's a lot of re-settings each time this happens. Any thoughts?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Oleksandr-Mod replied 5 months ago.
Oleksandr
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Can you confirm your talking about the double pole red switch located to either far left or right of the consumer unit or the RCD.

This type of fault is normally associated with a RCD, which is identified by looking for the word RCBO or RCD on the module and double the size of the other breakers within the consumer unit.

From what you have suggested its a fault within the consumer unit, as the fault is not related to a specific appliance, nor a specific plug socket.

Assuming its the RCD this is most likely a faulty RCD which is incorrectly detecting earth leakage, hence its not exceeding the 32A rating for the circuit fuse to trip, but some voltage going to earth and tripping independently, a new RCD costs around £15.

Should the red double pole switch be tripping without any of the other circuits tripping this points towards the switch thinking there was more than 100A being pulled across all the circuits and tripping, a new double pole main switch is around £10.

If you would like an electrician to attend to replace the fault consumer unit module please provide me with your postcode.