JamesI
JamesI, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

Trying to wire up 360 degree motion sensor for light in my

Customer Question

Trying to wire up 360 degree motion sensor for light in my bathroom but keep blowing fuse!! Can anyone shed some light?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Hi Stephen,

I hope that wasnt meant to be a pun :-)

Whats the model number of the motion sensor, most likely your connecting the switching live and neutral on the switched output side.

To confirm its tripping the MCB not the RCD within the consumer unit?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi James,
Didn't realise I dropped a pun in there lol. Model number is ***** made by zinc. Am I right to say brown wire is N blue is L and earth is A?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just tripping mcb
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Brown is Live, Blue Neutral.

Let me look up the specs as not come across "A" before, but as its not tripping RCD its prob not a earth fault.

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Ok, found a picture of the terminal block does the diagram under the terminal block look like this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that's the one.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Ok if you look at the diagram the circle with an X is the symbol for the bulb, so the fact the RCD isnt tripping tells me the circuit isnt protected by RCD and what is happening is the earth is shorting the circuit fusing the MCB.

So wire as follows:

L - Incoming Live (Brown)
N - Incoming Common\Neutral (Blue) & Neutral (Blue) for Bulb.
A - Live (Brown) for Bulb

The earth should be secured on a terminal which should look like a triangle or three lines under each other.

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

I would strongly suggest you get an RCD fitted for your lighting circuit if you carrying out DIY.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have added a few photos. I'm a total novice sorry. Looks like it's just blow the circuit breaker for downstairs light and RCD is still good
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Why are you connecting a earth wire into any of the terminal blocks?

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Disconnect the earth from the A terminal block, turn it back on and you will find its working without tripping

The wiring should be as follows:

L - Incoming Live (Brown)
A - Live (Brown) for Bulb

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
nothing will go into A? What should I do with the earth wire?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Earth can be connected to the earth terminal, if you cant find one just snip it off.

In terms of A you need to connect the wires going to the bulb to it, as per above, blue wire going to the bulb\lamp to terminal N, and brown from bulb\lamp to terminal A.

Appreciate if you can rate the service received using the start rating on this page.

I need to head out for another customer but will be back in 3 hours, do let me know if you need any further assistance and I will respond on my return.

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

You can rate the service using the star rating on this page, I need to head out to assist another customer. If you have any further questions please let me know your query and I will aim to respond in the next few hours.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry for late reply. I got light to stop blowing MCB but lights not as bright as it was and is on all the time now, not sure if it's just the light fitting
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

There will be a time delay setting, check the instructions for changing how long the light is on for when motion is detected.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's on 10 seconds, apparently it needs to be a straight feed from sensor to light fitting and looks like there's cables spered from another switch and a fan, it's something far from my skills
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Hi Stephen, correct you need the light attached to the sensor.

If your not confident in doing the work, its best to get someone in, electrical fires are still very much common place.

Please provide me with your postcode and I can recommend a local person.

James

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

I havent heard from you in a while, do you need any further assistance?