Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Fully qualified plumbing , heating and gas engineer 20 years experience
77408428

I have a bungalow i have taken a wall out and need a beam 7

Customer Question

i have a bungalow i have taken a wall out and need a beam 7 meters long to carry the roof verge need to know what size to install thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the roof is man made slate and the height of roof is about 2m and 3.8 in depth to ridge, making the slate dimension about 4.5 m
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the reason i need the beam is that it carrys the roof and the external wall is a meter away carrying a small flat roof
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Are building control aware of this work, as normally you would first need building control approval before doing such work on load bearing walls?

I ask since they may wish to see evidence of the calculations etc for sizing the RSJ.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi there always was a beam there but i had a small entrance porch i have taken out, all i am doing is extending the beam where the porch wal was,building control no need to be informed i would build a masonry pillar each end to give new beam better and more bearing ,
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the original beam was 4.7 long and timber, the new beam will be a noyther 2m overall 6.7 meters thank you james
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

You need to inform building control, who advised this is was not required, if you have altered the exterior of the porch you would also require planning permission.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was an internal porch that's why I took it out nothing else has changed
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Ok, if its a load baring wall and your changing the size of the steels it will need building control but not planning.

A 5 minute conversation to their building control team will confirm it either way, but if you continue and later find out it was required you could incur a significant fine for retrospective approval, which often gets picked up as part of conveyancing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok James all taken on board so what size raj would I need
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

I am going to opt out, as I am not comfortable providing this detail without supporting information a building engineer has signed of on what your wishing to do.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you havnt answered the question after I paid a fee James I am not happy
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

I have opted out so another engineer may assist but it appear no other experts are comfortable with providing the information you require either, which I imagine is due to your works not being authorised by building control. If no experts pick this up over the week I can pass this over to customer services for a refund under our money back guarantee.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
James good morning I am understanding your concerns the building control officer is coming here Monday to see the problem maybe with consent you will be able to calculate for me or another option might be to remove the side of roof and replace with longer rafters straight to external walls hence not requiring the beam at all