JamesI
JamesI, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

I have a workshop appliance which has an earth wire and two

Customer Question

I have a workshop appliance which has an earth wire and two black wires. I need to put a plug on the appliance but I don't know which of the black wires is hot and which is neutral. How do I use my multimeter to get the answer please?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

You need to go too the other end of the appliance where the flex terminates and see where it fits.

In most appliances it shoudnt pose an issue which way round they are terminated, if you advise which wire goes where inside the appliance I can give you more info.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks. I'm going to my workshop this afternoon. I'll try to remove the back (it's a large jointing machine) and see where the wires go. I'll come back to you later today.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Great, if you can attach a picture of what you can see that would help. If its going into a transformer it wont matter which way round you terminate the wires.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi again. I’ve attached 4 photos.
1) shows the earth and 2 black wires
2) shows where the flex leads to a shoddily insulated junction connector
3) the outgoing flex from the junction connector runs into a black box which houses the on/ off switches and I don’t know what else. The output from that black box runs direct to a motor
4) I stripped the insulation tape off the junction and sadly the black wire inputs connect to black wire outputs
Any ideas please? Thanks
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

If the wires go to a double pole switch then polarity is not an issue, and you can wire the socket either way.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your help James but I’m afraid it didn’t solve my problem. I ultimately spent an hour on the phone yesterday with Jet’s tech helpline. Thanks
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.
What was the conclusion after speaking to the helpline?