p0llinate
p0llinate, Technician
Experience:  Home security and home automation systems expert
59725966

Hi I have a veritas alarm control panel. I have not set the

Customer Question

Hi I have a veritas alarm control panel. I have not set the alarm for over 10 years as I have dogs but recently had a pre-pay electric meter installed and after the electric had been of for a few days whilst I was away, when I put credit back on the electric meter the alarm was making one long constant beep noise which stopped after about 10min. The alarm on the front of the house was flashing blue and now the alarm keeps going on and off. I cant remember the code for it as iv not used it for so long and the property is empty at the min so iv had to leave the mains power of in the house so the alarm doesn't go off and keep disturbing the neighbours. Im not bothered about being able to use the alarm I just want to be able to turn the power back on without the thing going off! I don't want to have to get an engineer out but I don't know what to do.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  p0llinate replied 3 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Nathan :

what you'll want to do here is to cut all power to the system.

Nathan :

Locate the panel (not the keypad) which is going to be a large box, usually metal (but sometimes plastic), that will contain the wiring for the system.

Nathan :

You're looking for something like this.

Nathan :

Disconnect the power leads to the battery, if there is one (though the battery is probably dead after all these years)

Nathan :

Then disconnect the power leads to the mains. This is usually a pair of wires out of the box and going to a power transformer "brick" plugged into an electrical outlet. Simply unplug that power adapter, which will cut main power to the unit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi thanks for getting back to me , I know there is a box on the wall in my downstairs toilet next to my main consumer unit fuse box thingy for the rest of the house so I assume this will be the panel your referring to, im not currently at the property but im going tomorrow so will let you know how I get on from memory though I don't recall seeing any visable wires coming out of it to a power adapter but il have a closer inspection tomorrow. Thanks

Expert:  p0llinate replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome Kathryn. It may not have the adapter, it could indeed be hardwired. If that were the case, you'd likely see a conduit or other electrical line coming into the box. You'd disconnect and cap that from it's terminals on the internal power transformer inside the box, or if you can trace it back to the source, you can turn off the breaker/fuse running the security system.