Roger
Roger, Customer Service
Experience:  Honeywell certified for integrated security,access control. Tech support takes forever if you call them, I'm her
30429915

We have an ADEMCO 6/16 not working sometimes showing 5f, but

We have an ADEMCO 6/16 not working sometimes showing 5f, but not working, pad seems dead . Any clues? Dump it?
Category: Home Security Systems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just wanted to say this an intruder alarm
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello there,
Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.
Adam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Adam Thanks. Just to let you know what you come up with. Sadly, I think that it is dead, afterall an old system. I took the front panel of and nothing happened not even a tamper alarm. The control panel is not responding. I will wait for your further response however.ThanksDavid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Adam,
Just wondered if you got my message as I just got another reminder for a reply, I will wait for you to find a professional to assist. Do you think that being in the UK will be a problem?
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back to me.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Adam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you find the professional you can state the problem which is, control pad is not responding at all no bleeps etc. only indication is that it is receiving power. If you find a professional and states that it is "dead" can you ask if there is a way that I can completely disconnect and isolate the power without triggering any alarm.ThanksDavid .
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back to me.
Adam
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi David. My name is ***** ***** it would be my pleasure to assist you today. Ademco sold out to Honeywell several years ago and Honeywell no longer provides any documentation on these old panels so it's quite hard to even get a manual to get you started with how to correct this issue. The closest thing that we have here in the US is the Ademco Lynx panels and I'm hoping that some of the same troubleshooting steps might help.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
First, do you know the user code for the system? This will be either a 4 or 6 digit code that you would input to arm/disarm the alarm.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
I noticed from your last response David that it seems the keypad is not responding to any key strokes either other than showing that it's powered on. Somewhere in the home there should be a main control board that the keypad is wired to as well as the rest of the sensors and contacts for the system. Do you know where this box is. It should be about 18" x 24" and may have a key hole in the front of it to lock it. What I'd like to try is powering down the main control board and power cycling it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roger thank you. The keypad is housed within the control box with all the sensors as one unit, and I have already removed this displaying all the wires etc. I have the four digit code that Arms /Unarms the system, but as there is no response whatsoever from the keypad, will you be able to give any instructions to try to power down the control board t see if this works. The system is wired direct to the Mains electrical supply with a battery backup and I wonder even if I can power it down, and this then triggers the alarm,(outside and inside) without the keypad operating/responding, I may not be able to cancel the operation. Let me have your professional response.David
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi David. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'm currently online from around 6pm to 6am CST. If the alarm panel is wired directly to the mains electric supply then you will need to remove the backup battery and try resetting the breaker that it's fed from. As long as the panel is not in an alarm state when it's powered off, it should not come back on in an alarm state. It seems that the keypad isn't sending any signal to the control panel since all you have to indicate that it's powered on is just a power indication. You should get keypress feedback from the keypad when pressing buttons if there is signal comms. To start looking into how we can get you up and going again if we have to replace this panel, can you tell me about the wiring that you have in place in the building. Are all the contacts and devices hard wired to this panel? I will be happy to help you find an affordable option to change out this panel and use as much as possible of the existing infrastructure. Looking forward to hearing from you and I'll help any way that I can. Regards, Roger
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roger, thank you. All the contacts and devices are hard wired to the panel. You mention removing the battery and try to reset the breaker. This is very alien to me, can you tell me how I would recognise the breaker how I would reset this as a first resort. Looks like with an old system replacement may have to be the option. Let us see if there is an affordable option .
Incidentally would a picture of the system be of any help?
Thanks And RegardsDavid
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi David the main electrical supply for your house should have a breaker panel with lots of breakers that can be turned on and off. If the alarm panel is connected directly to the main ex delete backspace
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about that. If the alarm panel is connected directly to the mains power in your home you should be able to isolate it by turning off breakers one at a time until you can determine which breaker is powering the alarm panel. In the breaker panel it will most likely be labeled as the room where the control panel is located if it's not labeled actually for the alarm panel. Once you can the power away from the alarm panel all you should have to do is remove one leg on the backup battery. Once you have both shutdown let them sit for approximately one minute. After that 1 minute first we connect the battery then we connect the alarm panel by turning the breaker back on. Try this for me and let me know how it goes. Just in case if you don't mind send me a couple of pictures and I'll look over them. If we aren't able to get the keypad working after a power cycle then we will most likely want to start looking in to finding you a newer panel. I'm going to work on that until I hear back from you. Thanks and have a wonderful morning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Day Roger I am sending a separate email with photos etc.will be away until 27th so no rush. I do appreciate the effort that you have taken in assisting.Thanks and I will await details of the action to take.SincerelyDavid
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
David. Thanks. I will await the pictures and we can go from there. Once I see what you have there, hopefully we can figure something out. Just in case we can't I'll start putting together some options for you to replace this old thing. They are very affordable to replace and you can get so much more out of a new one (extra functions/smartphone control/control for other things in the home).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Roger,
Pictures have been sent .As you say if the old thing cannot be helped for the time being, then the options for replacement have to be considered. I am no techie in this area though. Will be away from today until 27th and so would like to I hope you have a Happy Christmas.SincerelyDavid
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
David, I didn't receive a msg with pictures. When you have a chance you can attach them directly to our chat here by clicking on the paperclip icon above your chat text box where you type. Then navigate to the file's location on your computer. Merry Christmas to you too. Hope you have a wonderful holiday and I'll be in touch on the 27th so we can continue.
Roger, Customer Service
Experience: Honeywell certified for integrated security,access control. Tech support takes forever if you call them, I'm her
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Day Roger,
I enjoyed the time away. Here are the photos so please see what you think,I think in the end I will have to replace thisSincerelyDavid