Roger
Roger, Customer Service
Experience:  Honeywell certified for integrated security,access control. Tech support takes forever if you call them, I'm her
30429915

I hope you can help, I am having difficulty adding a PTZ to

I hope you can help, I am having difficulty adding a PTZ to my system.
My PTZ camera is:
Maxx Digital AHD 720P 1.4MP 60M IR PTZ CCTV Camera 10x Zoom (MDH-PTZ-C130)
I have wired the PTZ correctly to the RS485a & RS485b.
I have selected the PELCO_D protocol on the DVR and baud 2400
The PTZ cam protocol is "auto".
I can view the PTZ cam on my selected ch1 but I cannot control it.
I would be grateful for your assistance.
Andy
Category: Home Security Systems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My DVR is a Defeway D08HD1 model
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Error in DVR model no: It should read D08AHD1.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** it would be my pleasure to help with your issue today. Can you tell me a little about the RS485 cabling. What kind of cable are you using for the RS485 data? How long is the cable run?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
I'm just checking to make sure that you were able to get your issue resolved. Hope you have a wonderful holiday. Please let me know if there's anything else that I can do to help. Please don't forget to leave an excellent rating for me. Merry Christmas and Happy New year!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not extended the RS485 cabling yet. The PTZ is new & straight out of the box and on my desk next to the DVR. I am only using the cable as it comes out of the PTZ.SO far the issue is NOT resolved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have added a couple of screenshots showing the current settings
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Andy, Thanks for the info. A couple of things to check that you most likely already have correct, but i don't want to skip anything and miss something easy The wiring should be positiive to positive, and negative to negative. Also the address on the camera should match the address seeing in the ptz setup in the dvr.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes the wiring is correct and the addresses do match. I have tried alternative addresses and channels but that made no difference
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for trying that for me. The next thing that might be of concern is the cameras protocol setting. It's there s way to set it to pelco p or pelco d only. The auto setting is normaly used in a multi camera setup with camera that has different cameras on different protocols on the same 485 interfsce
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Also, i would like you to switch the baud rate if you haven't already done that. Change it at the camera and at the dvr to 9600/8/n/1
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to see if you were able to get your PTZ working. Let me know if there's anything that I can do to help. Please rate my service excellent once our conversation is complete. If you don't feel I've provided excellent service, continue to respond and I'll do whatever is necessary to ensure you are satisfied with your service!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cam protocol cannot be changed by the user, is set to auto which detects pelco_d & pelco p protocols. On the dvr I have alternated between pelco_d & pelcop, to see if it made any difference, It did not.
I have adjusted the baud to 9600 and this made no difference.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Just to be sure, you did change the baud rate at both the camera end and the DVR end correct? I'm sure you did, I just want to make sure we don't miss something. Another thing that you could possibly try is switching the TX and RX wires on one end, either the camera or the dvr end. Lastly, how long is the cable that comes off of the camera that is currently connected to the DVR. I've seen in very limited situations where RS485 comms has issues with only a short jumper from one end to the other not having a resistor at one end of the line. This usually isn't an issue with a long cable run, but it can be with just a short jumper wire. Beyond that the next step would be to have a RS485 to RS232 converter at both ends of the line so that you can see the command data coming out of the DVR. Please rate my service excellent once our conversation is complete. If you don't feel I've provided excellent service, continue to respond and I'll do whatever is necessary to ensure you are satisfied with your service!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I certainly did change baud on both devices.
Changing tx/rx = no improvement.
Your comments about possible issues with short runs of RS485 are interesting as the cables are 50cm (as out of the box) and the camera has not been installed/mounted as not been working yet. So the whole setup has a 50cm cable run on my desk.When I get home this eve I will ext the cabling (using CAT5E cabling) and get back to you before looking at RS485 converters etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,How very strange! Up until yesterday eve the camera has started up and then seemingly repeats its startup procedure. Last night I set about extending the cabling using cat5e cable and initially added a 5m run, after which the camera started normally and performed its startup routine but only once. As soon as it finished its initial startup it has behaved as one would expect. All operations and functions now seem to be normal and I have full operational control. I do understand why a particularly long cable run might limit operations but still can't wrap my head around why too short a cabl run would impair operations. None the less your suggestion has certainly solved my problems and incase of a "one off", I did power up and test the camera a few times yesterday and then again this morning and I am very pleased to report it now works perfectly. Thank you very much for your assistance with this I am very pleased with your advice and the outcome.kind regards
Andy.